Question on D44s or D60s

Robert_Stephens

Hi everyone,

My Dana 60s are almost done for VEX but I also found a deal on a pair of 44s for a CJ-7 with ARBs installed. The 60s really add to an already very heavy Jeep and since all of you know how VEX is set up, for those that have ran both, I am thinking of going with the D44s instead of the 60s and going with the Atlas 2 with the 3 speed TC and the ultra low 10:1.

Also, I am running 4.10s now in the D30 front and AMC 20 with the solid axle inserts, until the 60s are done.

The 60s are also 4.10s. These 44s are 4.56, which is killer cool.

I welcome any and all suggestions inputs, opinions and ideas on this. I am slowly getting it ready for ship-out to Mali Empire, Timbuktu, and getting other mods done also. That won't be for 4 months yet, so have time.

Thank you all in advance,

Robert

I'm finding alot of folks follow this simple rule of thumb?

4:56 's if 4 speed
4:10's if 3 speed
for any tires over 35's

the D60's just give you room to upgrade power down the road....

Is this true? can anyone else concur?

I'm finding alot of folks follow this simple rule of thumb?

for any tires over 35's

Is this true? can anyone else concur?

I understand. This is my 26th Jeep over 46 years. It just already weighs 5985 pounds and with the 60s installed that I have, it comes in at 6530 for overseas shipping. I already have ARBs in my lighter set up and a T-18 Tran with 7.71 to 1 low and the 4:1 in the transfercase.

I just want everyone's input on wether, when I re-install the 60s, the 44s might be a better choice, vacillating on this though. So, I welcome your input and anyone's else.

Thank you,

Robert

All depends on what tires you plan on running. If you plan on anything bigger than a 35 don't waste your time with the 44s. I'm currently running a 44/60 combo and have snapped shafts with 35s and hoping my chromos will hold up to my 38s till I get my front 60 built. Also Atlas doesn't make a 3 speed case, just 2 and 4. Stak makes a 3 speed case called the monster box but I've yet to hear any good things about them.

i would go with the 60s personally, but the 4.56s would be nice. i just havent had good luck with 44s.

I would go with the 60's based solely on the current weight of your Jeep. It's gonna need the added strength of the larger ring and pinion, especially when geared super low as you will be. Moving your heavy Jeep in a high traction situation, when geared really low, will push the limits of every part of the d44, from the R&P to the ujoints to the shafts themselves.

Robert stay the course and use the D60's. There is no good reason to use D44's in place of D60's in your case. Especially since you are talking about going to a 10:1 low range, I would seriously consider alloy shafts in the D60 as well.

rub1out
"I'm finding alot of folks follow this simple rule of thumb?

for any tires over 35's

Is this true? can anyone else concur?"

There is no such rule of thumb for many reasons.
First- Transmission variables; The 3 and 4 speed have the same final gear ratio 1:1 so it makes no sense why they would need a different ratio. Manual v/s Automatic, lockup converter v/s non-lockup converter, overdrive v/s non-OD.
Second- engine variables; 4,6,8 cylinders as well as gas v/s diesel all are variables.
Third- vehicle use; Around town driving v/s highway commuting v/s off road only v/s mud v/s rock crawling.
Fourth- tire size; All tire sizes must be figured into the equation, you can't just group tire sizes into two groups below 35" and above 35".
These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
All depends on what tires you plan on running. If you plan on anything bigger than a 35 don't waste your time with the 44s. I'm currently running a 44/60 combo and have snapped shafts with 35s and hoping my chromos will hold up to my 38s till I get my front 60 built. Also Atlas doesn't make a 3 speed case, just 2 and 4. Stak makes a 3 speed case called the monster box but I've yet to hear any good things about them.

Here's mine:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I have 1 tons DLs W/CVs at the TC end on each, Dana 300 with 4:1 and the T-i8 but the rest of the Jeep is one ton status. The tires are 9.50x33". I don't run wide tires and chains make up for this in all conditions.

Also, I had it backwards and you are correct about the Atlas. Thanks.

From input I am thinking of just having them tear the 60s back open and go ahead with them changed, and change over to 4.56s and not do the 44s. Probably best, since everything else is so overbuilt on VEX.

Thank you,

Robert

also how do you drive it? Drive it hard then go Dana 60's

Extremely hard. Around the world. Its been in 123 of the world's 195 countries and outside the US, the world is narrow, and rough and in most places where I go and end up, there are no roads at all--so its cross country and very very rough at times.

Thanks,

Robert

Back