Radio wiring #$%#@%

Jeepster05

I took the radio out exposing the birdnest of wires the previous owner left for me and cleaned it up. I reconnected all of the wires with new couplers and the thing still didn't get any power. The white wire that I think is the ground doesn't spark when it touches metal so I don't know whats wrong, the fuses are ok too. Any electrical savy guys/gals out there that have any suggestion?

red is your power and the black coming off the back of the deck by itself grounds to a seperate groudn wire i believe there is also a black ground coming out of the harness if im right, it was a while ago when i did my stereo, but go to circuit city or somewhere and they can actually make you a wire harness that will couple to the other or they can give you the listing of which wire is for what purpose and you can compare that to the wires coming off your deck, thats probably the bes tthing to do

Okay, let me give you my advice. If you have some time junk the factory wiring and put in your own. By putting in your own you can install bigger speaker wire(better sound), better power and ground wires(more power to your speakers-better sound), and plus you will know where it all goes. All a stereo achually needs for wiring is a red power wire(through ignition), black gound wire, yellow power wire(always on), and speaker wires. If you want to hook up the dimmer light you can do that too, but I have found a dimmer can cause a cut in power to your speakers and decrease sound quality. This is just my opinion, you can do as you wish, but it is nice to know where the wires achually go. Hope I helped.
Vavs

vavs said:
Okay, let me give you my advice. If you have some time junk the factory wiring and put in your own. By putting in your own you can install bigger speaker wire(better sound), better power and ground wires(more power to your speakers-better sound), and plus you will know where it all goes. All a stereo achually needs for wiring is a red power wire(through ignition), black gound wire, yellow power wire(always on), and speaker wires. If you want to hook up the dimmer light you can do that too, but I have found a dimmer can cause a cut in power to your speakers and decrease sound quality. This is just my opinion, you can do as you wish, but it is nice to know where the wires achually go. Hope I helped.
Vavs

Ahmmm NO, thats a big NO NO.
changing to all new wires will not improve the sound. the factory wires are 18 gauge wire, even if you upgraded to a 16 ga, there is not enough current in the wires to be able to tell the difference in the sound. As for the power wires, the radios are designed to have 18 gauge wire, if you put something bigger (numerically smaller) you run the risk of breaking (frying) the radio. A deck is not a amp, it is not designed to with stand that amount of ohms like a amp is.
Installing a dimmer can does not effect the sound quality when done correctly, there are two different types of dimmer switches, neggative trigger and positive trigger. If you hook them up backwards, they will either blow the radio fuse, or blow the park light fuse. If it is effecting sound quality, you need a new radio.

here is your best option. Get all the wires out of there except the factory ones.
First all jeeps have a black ground wire that was ground to the back of the deeck, and is not found in the wiring harness. so this should be your first connection.
Next check all of the fuse. there should be one under the dash labled radio (you never said what year or make jeep so I will assume it is a yj) Next under the hood, check to make sure all the fuses labled accessory are in good shape. now with the ignition off, use a multi meter to find a 12 volt source. it should read some where around 12.24 volts. attach this to the yellow wire in the new deck. this is the constant, and is what allows the deck to keep memory. next turn on the ignition, test for 12 volt. when found, attach this to the red wire in the new decks harness. this is the switch power and is what turns the deck on and off. So now the deck should be able to go on.
Now you need to locate the dimmer. some jeeps are pos trigger, some are neg trigger, so here is what you do. with the ignition off, turn on the park light, if you get a wire that reads 12 volt, you found a positive trigger. this gets attached to I believe the orange wire in the harness. if you don't feel confident, leave it alone. just cap the wire. if you don't find a positive dimmer, switch your meter to continuity. turn off the park lights, put black meter line to ground and the other to a wire (pick one) turn the park lights on, if you meter starts to buzz, you have a neg trigger dimmer. this goes to the orange and white wire off the deck. I might have the colors for the dimmer mixed up, heads a little foggy. so just cap it off.
To find speakers, it is fo easy. get a 9 volt battery, you know the one you used to stick you tonge to when you were little to get a shock. put one wire on one terminal and another wire on another terminal. keep doing htis till you hear a little thud sound. those are the wires for that speaker. to test for phase, which is positive and which is a neg speaker wire. when you hear the thud look at the speaker. if the cone potrudes out, the wire that is on the positive terminal is the positive wire. if it sucks the cone in, the the opposite. soilder and electrical tape is great, butt connectors are easier and quicker. just don't use stuff like masking tape or duct tape. bad move. if you have any wires left over just cap them off (like rear speakers, if you don't have them, you won't hook them up, as well as the blue wire off the dec, this is the remote/power antenna, if you have no amps then ths is not needed)

Good luck It is not as hard as it sounds. I was a proffesional installer for many years so have confidence in what I told you.

Radio's are no amps, but they do contain amps, and the bigger wire you run the less resistance it has. That means more power to your speakers, and in turn better sound. I have reseached this, and I have done it, and it works! Even if you stick with the stock wiring, at least upgrade the speaker wire. Even Johnny cant say that better speaker wire wont improve sound quality. Thats my input. happy Jeepin.
Vavs

The only black wires on the thing are included in the wiring harness plug in and the one large antenna wire. As far as I know there never was another black wire away from the harness even when it did work.

The ground wire(factory) was not in the plug, it was a stand alone seperate wire. If you can't find it, that is not a biggie, just drill a 1/8 hole in the bottom of the metal dash, and shoot a screw in there to hole the ground wire. use a spade terminal of course.

and yes I disagree about the speaker wire. First off it is a waste of money. unless you are running a large amp, and I mean a more than 200 watts (rms) per channel, then you can benefit from a larger wire. when It come to a small amp or just a deck, it is a big waste of time and money. I don't mean to doubt your ability to improperly wire a speaker, but exaclty how maney IASCA stereo installations have you performed? DO you know what OHM's Law is by any chance? I don't mean to rip on you but your giving out false info.

And the"built in amp" is really not a amp in the general sence that you are thinking, any radio will have some type of amplifier, if it doesn't then where does the sound come from? With the exception of Recoton (the company that make jensen and audiovox) all other manufacturer's will not warranty a blown deck if anything other than factory gauge wire is used to wire it.

Hi,

Just going to add one comment:

Using larger gauge wire in the speaker circuits DOES cut down on the resistance of the circuit to an extent. In theory this gives you more power since the Amp would be operating at a lower impedance. However, as Jps4jeep pointed out, excessively oversized wire could damage the amp because more power is being sent through it than it was designed to handle, and it will thus overheat.

This is precisely why you'd NEVER want to run, for example, 2 ohm speakers on an amplifier designed for an 8 ohm speaker load.

-Nick :!:

Other than the stuff ya'll said, why wouldn't there be any power goin to the wires? Originally I could touch the white wire to the metal dash and it would spark. What made it stop?

Exhaust manifold leak

Jeepster05 said:
I could touch the white wire to the metal dash and it would spark. What made it stop?

Maybe you blew the fuse. By touching the wire to ground, you basically create a short circuit, and the fuse would do it's job and blow. In general it is NOT a good idea to be shorting hot wires to ground, especially since it can damage other electronics in the vehicle due to voltage spikes. If you want to know if a wire is hot or not, you really need to be using a proper voltmeter or test light. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Tricks for installing axle?????

Ya, That does sound like a blown fuse. If it is an aftermarket system, there might be fuses in different areas, like somewhere along the wire that is used to give it power. As far as the wire is concerned, yes it would be a waste of money with a stock, or close to stock system. When you get into higher quality and higher powered systems, that's when you want larger wire for power and clarity.

Check all the fuses, the "radio fuse" is only for the ignition power sent to the deck. The constant is on a accessory fuse. Also check under the hood, there are radio fuses there as well.

This might sound like a really dumb question but electronics is really my weak point: where else are there fuse other than under the dash?

I'm just saying that sometimes with aftermarket stuff, like if you've got an amp, etc., there are usually additional fuses. Do you just have an aftermarket deck and speaker? If you have other things that require more power, there are usually fuses between that and the battery. Not sure if that would apply to you though

If you have an aftermarket unit, then it will have fuses in the unit itsel. Check the back of the unit, and I'm sure you will see them. Go get yourself a cheap $7 voltmeter at Walmart or Autozone and check and see if there are any wires that have power. If you cannot find a ground, then you can simply make one by connecting a piece of wire (correct gauge) to a good ground. I noticed you said that your ground does not spark when you touch metal. Your ground wire is NOT suppose to spark, and you are not suppose to check if there is power like that. You have a blown fuse. Some cars come with an electronic module that conrols the radio fuse, and dimmer and all sorts of things. I don't think that our Jeeps come with such a module, so go to the fuse box (drivers side under dash) and pull out every fuse,and check to see if they are good. Then check behing the radio and see if there are any inline fuses back there, and check to see if they are good. Get yourself that volt meter, and check the wires for power. Make sure the ignition key is in the "on" position before you check for power. Let us know what you find.-al

Back