Rear Brake Noise

JeepGirl247

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and need some help. I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee.

Last night the rear passenger's wheel was making a rubbing / grinding noise. I first heard it while I was driving through the mall parking lot...so I wasn't going more than 5MPH. It happened while I applied the brake and then when I let off of the brake it sounded like something was stuck...like I was still stepping on the brake pedal. The noise is the same regardless if I am applying the brake or letting off.

In July, my Jeep went to the shop for some major brake work, which included new rear brakes, new brake lines, new rear wheel cylinders, and new emergency brake cable because it was stuck and the old cable was chewed off on the one side. That's why the noise I heard for the first time last night doesn't seem validated, but it's there nonetheless and needs attention.

Does anyone know what this could be and what can I do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance :)

If your certain that it's coming from the rear, jack the rear axle and support it with jack stands and remove the wheel and drums. Inspect the assembly for unusual metal to metal marks. Sounds to me that the rear shoes are not retracting properly and caused a premature wear on the brake shoe lining and is now grinding on the drums.

Dang mall crawlers. JK You might also want to check bearings. Pinion bearing will make a squealing sound when the go out.

Mall crawler?! Come on, lol - I was actually AT the mall, not cruising! Anyhow,thanks for the troubleshooting tips, I am planning on troubleshooting my XJ tomorrow and will look for all of that stuff. It's just so disappointing to have just had all that brake work done and then it's acting up...ALSO...when I shut the Jeep off after driving it home, I heard a pinging sound from the back undercarriage...is that significant of anything?

Again, thanks :)

Back