Rear panels separating

77cj7

Hi I have a 1977 cj7 and I'm slowly fixing/restoring it and I've noticed that the rear panels are separating from the tail gate. Does anyone know how to fix this? I really don't want to have to buy new panels an have a shop replace them. Any help will be appreciated thank you

Attachments

• image-1971020069.jpg
    image-1971020069.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2386201191.jpg
    image-2386201191.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 189
  • image-3685651728.jpg
    image-3685651728.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 322

I bet your jeep had the swing out spare tire carrier on it that bolts the passenger rear panel and latches to the drivers rear panel. That was a horrible choice locating the spare from jeep, it places too much stress on the panels when the carrier is opened and closed, and your pics show the results. I would not put the carrier back on and find another way to carry a spare, or don't carry one at all. Short of replacing or welding, I have taken a small cable across the back from panel to panel and tightened it up to bring the panels back into position. You have holes already on each side of you tailgate, you could have a tab welded to the gate and the panel and bolt the two together, early cj, tailgates were held shut this way. Don't feel too bad, it is very common to see this. I was talking to a friend who recently got a 94 wrangler and I was showing him common rust areas, and was going to show him how the tailgate will separate from the panels because of the tire carrier, his had already separated, but his was bad, it was separated from the top almost all the way down.

I bet your jeep had the swing out spare tire carrier on it that bolts the passenger rear panel and latches to the drivers rear panel. That was a horrible choice locating the spare from jeep, it places too much stress on the panels when the carrier is opened and closed, and your pics show the results. I would not put the carrier back on and find another way to carry a spare, or don't carry one at all. Short of replacing or welding, I have taken a small cable across the back from panel to panel and tightened it up to bring the panels back into position. You have holes already on each side of you tailgate, you could have a tab welded to the gate and the panel and bolt the two together, early cj, tailgates were held shut this way. Don't feel too bad, it is very common to see this. I was talking to a friend who recently got a 94 wrangler and I was showing him common rust areas, and was going to show him how the tailgate will separate from the panels because of the tire carrier, his had already separated, but his was bad, it was separated from the top almost all the way down.

Thanks for the advice on the cause and how to fix this problem. I'm glad you told me this I was planning on putting the stock one back onto it soon. I'll take that in mind and throw that away

Most likely the rear crossmember is rusted or bent from excessive weight put on the side panel. Rear body mounts on the CJs were closer together than later models and were more apt to do this.

Most likely the rear crossmember is rusted or bent from excessive weight put on the side panel. Rear body mounts on the CJs were closer together than later models and were more apt to do this.

Oh ok thanks for the advice. I'll have to look more into it tomorrow. Hopefully fixable without buying more things

Back