Rear Pinon seal...

pollux_troy03

replace rear pinon gasket and it leaks not bad but its leaking fluid to make a spot on the ground when its parked, any thoughts and is there something else wrong than gasket...

Attachments

• 0629111128_0001.jpg
    0629111128_0001.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 323

Did you put a little grease on the spline end of the yoke when installing it in the new seal? It's easy to damage a new seal with a dry yoke. I'd try another one after making sure there's no play in the pinion bearings. Give the pinion yoke a good shake to look for any side to side slop.

also, did you put blue rtv around the outer metal part of the seal? I also like to put a little around the spline of the pinion under the washer to keep fluid from leaking through the splines.

Is there a groove worn in the yoke right where the seal rides? If so you need a "Sleeve-N-Seal" kit to fix it. There should be no groove and the surface should be fairly smooth.
-John

I need to do this to the rear of my Jeep also. How hard is it to get the old seal out? Do you need a special tool? Thanks

I just did the one our AMC 20 rear without any problems. Haven't had a problem since. The old pinion seal was not the easiest to get out it eventually came out.

I just did the one in my tj, they pop out easy, just clean every thing and use a little grease when you put it back together.

I think mine starting leaking from the pinion seal on the rear differential this weekend as well. I would post a pic except it's pretty much identical to one posted above. This is not something I want to try and tackle myself, and I was wondering where any of you would recommend I have it checked. Dealer? Jiffy lube? Transmission shop?

JW

Edit: I lied. I'm posting a photo. I did pull the plug and check the level of oil. It is normal per Jeep's specs. Should I be worried about driving it like this? Will it make it worse? When I bought this Jeep a month ago, I was told the "rear seal was leaking a little." I presume this is what they meant.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    593 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I think mine starting leaking from the pinion seal on the rear differential this weekend as well. I would post a pic except it's pretty much identical to one posted above. This is not something I want to try and tackle myself, and I was wondering where any of you would recommend I have it checked. Dealer? Jiffy lube? Transmission shop?

Pretty much any garage you "trust" can do it. Even a buddy with a couple of tools and a beer, maybe?

Driving it that way won't hurt anything UNLESS the bearings are loose. Sometimes the bearings get loose and this will cause the seal to leak. Grab your driveshaft right at the rear end and shake it side-to-side. There should be no play. If it's solid you can leave it leaking for now. Just keep an eye on the oil level. You don't want it to get too low or you'll ruin the rear end. Eventually, it's going to get bad enough, though, that it'll start messing up your driveway and also make little oil splatters on the rear of the Jeep. You'll want to change it by then :p
Best of luck - John

Back