rearend upgrades?

kingmega

Hey hey been a long while since i've been on the forum, working on another build i want to ditch the d35 would like a 44 but are really hard to find so thinking of the ford 8.8 i had a ford 9" in my last xj loved it but i don't want to go though all the work it take's to make it work was just wondering how the 8.8's are holding up and what upgrade's has anyone done to make them stronger i really don't like the idea of a c-clip rearend any info would be sweet

8.8 here with 37s welded tubes rebuilt LSD and bought new cover.(stock is very thin metal) beat the living hell out of it no problems. Very strong

I've got an 8.8, and it's a great choice. The C-clip axles aren't as big a problem though, since the 8.8 has disc breaks - if you break an axle then calipers will keep the wheel / axle from walking out on you.

The only real upgrades you need to do is what Insufficient funds mentioned - weld the axle tubes to the carrier and buy a better cover (Solid brand is probably the cheapest / mos popular). The axle tubes come from the factory just pressed in, and could spin.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/jeep-builds/41363-terrymasons-2005-jeep-tj-build.html#post305748

Back