Rebuild 258 and put a 4.0 head or put in a 4.0 complete?

Pcoz88

Should I get my 258 rebuilt with a 4.o litre head and fuel injection or just put in a 4.0 engine complete. I want something that will be able to tow a trailer with a(maybe 2) 700# 4 wheeler in it down to W. Virgina and Kentucky.May be down the road a pop up camper.I don't want to go to a v-8.Is this possiable. Any and all info would be appericated.Which one would be cheaper.What kind of trans?It has a peuaget now with 126,000 miles on it.Its an 87 yj 5 speed.Np 231.Thank again. :?: Email me at pandscoz@wcnet.org
Also want it to be reiable.

4.6L or 4.7L after stroking the 4.0L, and a lot more power. Then your only limit to towing will be the Peugeot BA10/5 and your brakes.

old thread but... I'm with the stroker crew. Add a holly TBI Fuel injector (it looks like a carb) IF you can find an OLD 4.O... you can push that engine over 500 horse by boring and stroking with the right intake and the Holly injection unit. I'm not saying go that far, but the Holly is a self learning unit that will handle the stroker, and you can use a capacitive discharge ignition, an old fashioned internal regulator alternator and pretty much all the basic support parts that do not require that cursed PCM the 4.0 requires. Look for a TH400 if you can find one or go with a newer but non-computer controlled transmission. If you go with just a stroked 4.0 and the PCM. it will limit the amount of peak torque and HP you can develop. As it stands a Stock 4.0 can do what you want, but what fun is that?

Last edited:
Only issue on the brakes would be the rear, his front are up to handling a 5.2 If he finds a Grand Cherokee in a bone yard he can pull the rear disk assemblies and swap them, they will match up to the hubs, his cables for parking brake should be direct fits as well... and he will always be able to buy OEM parts for brake jobs.

Back