Red line oil.....or........amzoil???????????????

Pcoz88

Any info on either would be helpful.Thank-you.Where in my 87' yj should I put some or all? :-? :-O [addsig]

My 87 YJ likes Pennzoil Synromesh in the Transmission. It made all the difference in the world as to how it shift. Cold mornings are no longer stiff mornings it slides into reverce like I have been driven all day. I would have used Red Line but needed it now and it was not avalible here. Took about 3.25 qts to fill er up. Auto Zone carries it about 5 bucks a Qt. Hope this helps Tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Mar 30, 2003 - 08:24 PM[addsig]

I'm with Tug... Penn Synchromesh fluid is like heaven in a bottle, and not bad on the wallet[addsig]

May be a bit off topic if this convo is about transmission lube...as for engine oil...if your engine leaks or weeps oil with conventional mineral oil in it....it may well leak much worse with synthetic oil...the best conventional oil in my experience is Castrol GTX..never had a lube failure in medium performance engines...Synthetic oil...Mobil 1 good value for the money...I use it in my dragbike...1327cc engine size...145 HP with an additional 75 HP Nitrous shot...10,000+ RPM...no measurable piston or valvetrain wear between teardowns...the only downside with synthetic oil, other than possible oil leak problems is the cost at oil change time...as for offroading...especially with "high performance" air filtration.. im for frequent oil changes using the Castrol...high dust loads are my concern...it is physically impossible for the single stage oil impregnated gauze filters to approach the filtration efficiency of a pleated paper filter...better yet, a three stage centrifugal, prefilter, final filter as used on industrial machinery..dirt kills motors.. 'nuff said... Dawg. P.S. I have more on this topic if anyone is interested..[addsig]

The common misconception with synthetic oil is it causes oil leaks. The truth is that if you develop an oil leak after switching to syn. oil you already had the leak you just may not have known it. Syn. oil cleans out all the gunk and build up in an engine. Sometimes this gunk and build up blocks leaks caused by bad gasketts. So the leak was already there. As far as which to use. I say Amsoil, I use it myself. No one else is willing to back up their oil with the warranty that Amsoil does. I you have a failure due to the oil they will pay for the repairs.[addsig]

May be a bit off topic if this convo is about transmission lube...as for engine oil...if your engine leaks or weeps oil with conventional mineral oil in it....it may well leak much worse with synthetic oil...the best conventional oil in my experience is Castrol GTX..never had a lube failure in medium performance engines

Yeah, I use Castrol GTX in all of my cars and have never had a problem. And for $21 a case, you can't beat the price and quality.

TARSI
[addsig]

Thank-you one and all.May be i won't use syn oil.My 87' has enough regluar oil oil leaks. :lol: [addsig]

Back