Remote Start - Possible?

Gold Member

Hi all
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this...so apologies if I missed a thread.

I have a 99 TJ 4 Banger. It's starting to get damn cold here, so I thought about adding a Remote Start system. I'm not looking for an alarm, just remote start. The only thing is, I have a manual...now, I have seen this work on other cars, but not sure about a Jeep.
Any ideas if this is possible? If so, where do I start?
Thanks.

First off, it would be Unsafe to have a Remote start on a Manual Transmission driven Vehicle simply because the Transmission is your secondary Brake when the vehicle is parked. just like an automatic transmission. the veh. wont roll when in park. but then again, it's driver habit to place the trans in gear when you park it after you shutdown the ignition. I for one always have the Trans. in gear when i park it. Yes it's possible to install a remote start on a 99TJ but you just have to train yourself not to engage it in gear when you park. and if you park on a Slope and your parking brake fails like the latching mechanism or the cables snaps off, you might want to get a full coverage Insurance on your 99TJ runaway.. this is just my two cents for what its worth.

My 2Cent.... Forget the remote start and put in a block heater.... all you have to do is forget the transmission one time and you will have a Jeep doing flips down the ski jumps. Three other ways to solve your problem.... wear a lot more layers in the morning, Buy a Winter beater, or move down the street from me... I was wearing shorts today. sorry could not help myself...:twisted:

My 2Cent.... Forget the remote start and put in a block heater.... all you have to do is forget the transmission one time and you will have a Jeep doing flips down the ski jumps. Three other ways to solve your problem.... wear a lot more layers in the morning, Buy a Winter beater, or move down the street from me... I was wearing shorts today. sorry could not help myself...:twisted:

That is so not fair......we have about 5" of snow outside right now...

Thanks for all your input. I guess a remote start is out of the question. I'll put thermals on my Christmas list...:lol:

That block heater is a pretty good idea. Should have your heat working within a few minutes of starting your Jeep

I had a remote start in my Jeep back when it was a driver, and mine as well was a 5 spd. I only left it in gear once when trying to start it, it creeped foward couple inches and I was able to cncel the process. I got in the routine that if I needed to park on an incline, I would turn the wheels into the curb, if this was not possible, I just turned on a kill switch for the RS and it would be disabled.

This was also probably about 10 years ago, many advancments have been made that sensors can be placed in the transmission tunnel and when in gear, they cancel out the ground signal for the starter.

With TJ's, My understanding is that you need to press in the clutch to start, this is solved by pulling the fuse.

Thanks guys for your input and thanks for that info Johnny. I am still looking into it. If I can make it fool proof (won't start if in gear) then I will definitely go ahead with it.

hey, might be a stupid question, but what about an auto tj? no problems im assuming, right?

Auto transmission Remote start... walk in the park.... You can DIY or go have it installed... if you go the DIY way, you know how to rip the silly thing out if it looses it's mind. Buy a GOOD one not a cheap one... the cheap ones always loose their minds, from what I have seen.

I could not recommend a remote start device for a manual as much as i'd love one too... I tend to bump buttons in my pocket when moving around.

I think remote start on manual transmission is good and safe.

Having an auto start on a manual transmission is in no way safe. If you leave your jeep parked in gear, and hit the key then it's going to jump forward, and most likely go through your garage door, or whatever / whoever is standing in front of it.

On a side note, can you even start a manual TJ or JK without the clutch pushed in?

Having an auto start on a manual transmission is in no way safe. If you leave your jeep parked in gear, and hit the key then it's going to jump forward, and most likely go through your garage door, or whatever / whoever is standing in front of it.

On a side note, can you even start a manual TJ or JK without the clutch pushed in?
Yes. Over ride the clutch switch wit a jumper and X2 on the safety issues with a remote start on manual trans.

Back