removing rear bumperettes ?

b.hog

got new bumpers, started to remove bumperettes,any tricks getting ahold of nuts behind bumperettes closest to center of jeep.Dont own a torch,and didnt want to drop the gas tank.

thanks in advance

on my 73, I ground them off. Later I dropped the tank cause of a different route I went on my bumper

was dropping the tank so you could bolt through (i guess its called the crossmember)into the new bumper,thats what I have to do with mine

It is a crossmember. On the 73 I have, I help my brother out of a mud hole. It ripped up the back end and I ended up removing the cross member and made a whole new cross member, added on to the frame for bumper and then put a 3 inch square tube bumper on the Jeep. I also had to modify the way the tank was mounted. It worked for the better

Sawzall the heads off. My 94 had wire welded to the nuts behind he cross member to try and stop them from turning but it only made it harder to get a wrench on the nut; the wires bent and were worthless.

Sawzall the heads off. My 94 had wire welded to the nuts behind he cross member to try and stop them from turning but it only made it harder to get a wrench on the nut; the wires bent and were worthless.

Ya,they were spinning free,and couldnt get a wrench to grab.I ended up cutting them off and then cut a chunk out of the crossmember (bottom)so I could bolt through into the new bumper.......thanks all

Back