Removing Wrangler Logo

Jasper Jeep

I realize that this isn't a very technical tech posting, but...
I came across a near perfect YJ tub to swap on to my CJ and I want to remove the Wrangler logo from the quarters with out wrecking the paint.
Hints, tips or suggestions?

Yeah thats the truth, about 2 minutes into it the quick usually starts seperating from the nail. :lol:

Last time I used a plastic kitchen doodad that my wife had layin around, it worked ok but left some scuffs in the paint. I've heard that those plastic razors work great but i've never tried them.

I used a tool that fits into a drill, is made of a #2 eraser like material, and just rubs everything but the paint off the Jeep. Worked great for removing pin strips and decals. Unfortunately, it was given to me by a friend, so I have no idea what it is called or where you can get it.

So do i pry off the logo and then use the heat and finger nail on the goop?
Or do I hate up the whole logo and then pull it of?
Sorry, its early and I pushed the wrong button on the coffee maker so clarity is still about 10 minutes away.

Use the heat gun to soften the glue and scrape it off with a soft plastic scraper.

There are several products at your local auto parts store for removing the remaining glue. Goo off and others like it remove tar and other substances like it from your jeeps finish with out hurting the paint. The old zippo lighter fluid works here as well.

If you should scrape a little hard they also carry some sort of fine buffing compounds for your jeeps finish. Remember your jeep was painted with a single color process(no clear coat). That means you can remove deep scratches with a little 2000 grit sand paper and some fine buffing compound.

hair dryer is great,heat gun better.also 3M makes a adhesive remover(3.00) spcifically for that reason,and they make plastic razor blades (1.00) and all you need to do after is put on a little wax
you can get it at any auto paint store or parts store

jaymz77 said:
I used a tool that fits into a drill, is made of a #2 eraser like material, and just rubs everything but the paint off the Jeep. Worked great for removing pin strips and decals. Unfortunately, it was given to me by a friend, so I have no idea what it is called or where you can get it.

Its called an eraser wheel. Good luck finding one though!!!

Stop by an auto body shop, be real cool, let them wait on other customers first.... answer phone calls....... then hit them up to use the one they have!! Thats what I did, it was worth it enough to me I slipped the kid a $20 for his troubles. (who the F$*K would put a west coast chopper sticker dead center of a hood anyway)

Or try mineral spirits. You need to let it soak.

NO, NO, NO TO GOO OFF or others like it, Just plain old NO!

Roundlights said:
NO, NO, NO TO GOO OFF or others like it, Just plain old NO!

I agree. It will scratch that hell out of your paint if you're not REALLY carefull. If it's clear coated then you can use laquer thinner to get the glue off. Otherwise, I'd just use some type of good polishing compound.

As for the logo itself, Hairdryer should do the trick. At least the one I use in the shop gets plenty hot enough to get that kind of stuff off with ease. If you use a heat gun, be carefull and don't get anything too hot.

Ya i will have to agree with Utha_Jeepster me and my freind removed his pin stripes all around his bronco in about 45 min. Just with the Hair dryer and a box blade.

It just occurred to me that every one is mentioning pinstripes, so maybe you are thinking that I was asking about the stick on lettering.
The logo on my 89 tub is one of the hard plastic badges.
So is it the same story, heat it up, pull it of and remover the glue residue?

its the hard one which WILL leave that black residue behind... hair dryer, goof off or lighter fluid (yes... with a LIGHT TOUCH AND CLEAN RAG...) then some wax... the 89 (like mine) does not have a clear coat that i'm aware of ... .mine turned out fine... dont be too prissy about it... its a jeep afterall... just put a sticker over it if it doesnt turn out the way you want!!! ;o)

i'm always a fan of 3m adhesieve remover "spell" its bout 6 bucks at wal-mart but works 10 times better than bug and tar ... just spray it on let it set for bout 5 ... then lay into it with a plastic scrappper or metal if your comfortable ... and everything should peel off fairly smooth ... if not let the rest soak in the spray for a few but keep a rag under the adhesive so it dont strip your wax

Back