Repairable?

wow, would have to find one used then. hopefully it won't need to be replaced! I'll find out more form the dealer this afternoon...possibly check it out this weekend. You say pull up the carpet in the back to check for twisting etc?

uuhhmmm, that wasn't me who said that, but yeah, check the body for twisting and wrinkles.

for 3900 i would keep looking.I bought my 97 tj with 150k miles on it for 4200.only has a small spot of surface rust on the drivers fender.For a feww hundred more you will not have all the headaches.If you can get them to drop the price more then it is a diffrent story.Also check to see if the title is still good or did an insurance company mark as totaled.May need to get a reconstucted title.

Thanks for the tip...This one has 90k miles on it, which is a major reason I'm interested. Along with miles, comes many problems all at once as well as problems given to you by the previous owner's lack of pride in their vehicle. I found a nice 98 with 75k miles, but the owner apparently didn't wash it much and it has a ton of rust :( so I can only assume they didn't do other things, such as changing the oil regularly, checking fluids, etc. This isn't always the case with high mileage vehicles I know, but I don't want to take the chance.

I bought my previous vehicle with 140k on it, and have put so much money into repairs it's ridiculous. There's no serious issues with the car, but every little electronic and rubber hose, axle...EVERYTHING keeps going. If I can get this Wrangler fixed and running well for under $5.5k I'd be happy. I'm not worried about the title...I only switch vehicles if necessary so I'll be keeping the Jeep a long time.

wow, would have to find one used then. hopefully it won't need to be replaced! I'll find out more form the dealer this afternoon...possibly check it out this weekend. You say pull up the carpet in the back to check for twisting etc?

Not only in the back but all over the jeep. The biggest indicators will be the inner structural plating by the B piller (around the floor mounts of the rollcage by the seats) and the area around where the drivers and passengers feet would be around the door jams. If it looks like these two pieces are sperating that means the body has definatly shifted.

Ill try to take a couple pictures of mine tonight to sho you how it SHOULDNT look. Mine is slowly going to become a trail rig so i dont mind if the body isnt square, as long as i can get a top up for rain or to turn the AC on

If you can do the work yourself then you can probably get away with a 2K budget to get this back together depending on your ability to find a usuable tub. If you have a trailer and want to take a road trip to ohio check out this, they aways have tubs. D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials If you arent comfortable with your ability or just lack of space to work due yourself a favor and just keep looking.

What's behind that back corner besides the panel itself...things that will be crushed?

i wouldnt worry too much about that back corner inside the tub, you already know its F'd up. Id spend my time looking towards the front of the tub to really get an idea about how widespread the damage goes. There are internal panels that are attached to the tub from the inside that gives it its shape, looks at these seemse to see if they are pulling away at all. If they are that means the whole tub has shifted.

By the time i got home last night it was too dark to get pictures, ill definately get them tomorrow.

I just fixed a corner repair similar like that, I had the body pulled just back into (Close) alignment, then added Gen-Right corner crusher panels.

As long as the frame is ok, the repair will be under 1000$.
There are two places you need to look at before you buy, one is the gap between the rear door and panel, this can be pulled some but there are several supports behind and under the rear cross member support that you need to make sure that they didn't tear there welds.
Second is the corner itself with corner basket/light accidents the tub some times can be pulled down right at the corner radius. A good body repair man can push this corner back up flush with the rest of the tub but there is a possibility of the rear panel separating from the rear quarter panel.
The estimate to just replace the corner radius panel was from 400$ to 600$.
I had mine "pulled" for only 150$. The gen right corner were 320$, and I had them painted the same color of my jeep for 300$.
The install took about 4 or so hours.
Here is a link showing them "link"

This was the corner before we put the panel on.
Incidentally I ran the light basket into a rock, pushing it completely into the panel.

Attachments

• feb3 014.jpg
    feb3 014.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 105

Check ebay and Daveysjeeps.com for a good used tube that will leave less of a dent i your walet.

Back