replaceing my #@@$ shocks

cidd

Ok 2004 tj wrangler finaly decided to replace all my shocks so I bought some rough country shocks and boots for my tj. The fronts came off fairly easy and the new ones poped right in BUT THE BACK !!!!:evil::evil: these are by far the worst shocks I have ever taken off and Ive done quit a few in my 30 years of working on cars. The bottom bolts came off quit easy but the top bolts snaped right off without hardly any pressure after the first one snapped I heated and drenched with pb blaster all the others and they still broke off. Then to really **** on me :twisted: as I was drilling them out they came loose :xand spun right out :cry:. So as im looking at the remains of the bolts I see there is no rust at all none O zip what the ##@@ is up are they all like this ???. I mean Ive worked on cars that where more rust than metal and never had bolts that did this

I replaced the shocks on my 05 with OME. This was in VA near the ocean and I didnt have any problems. Did you buy your Jeep used?

The bolts were factory 8.8 bolts and there was noooo rust I think godzilla put them in and overtighted them to start the crack

Notorious problem. get a drill and extractor. gonna be a long afternoon.

I have done a lot of tj and xj rears, both use the upper bar pin, and I have never had a vehicle where all four bolts came out, even after soaking in blaster for a couple days. There always seams to be a build up of something on the exposed top threads or something that inhibits simple extraction. I have had best suscess with this method, try to easily and slowly tighten the bolt, (1/16 turn) just to "crack" the bolt, then 1/4 turn back, then 1/16 turn in, 1/4 turn out, spraying with blaster as you go. let it sit with the blaster if you get any hesitation.

I guess I'm glad I removed and greased those shock bolts when my Jeep was brand new. Here in MA everything rusts into one solid mass in just a few years. - John

finaly got them done tonight man what a pain in the @## on the drivers side I was abel to reuse the old threads just had to get new bolts and i coated them with antiseze but the passanger side was worse had to drill out the old bolts completly and use new bolts and lock nuts on top. but it was well worth it the jeep drives like new even replaced the old steering stabelizer it doesnt wander all over the road anymore.

Back