Replacing lifters

Josaff

As anyone replaced their litters, I have had a failing lifter for some time now and decided to bite the bullet. Shop says 450.00 in labor plus parts, is the job that demanding, I am mechanically inclined and if so does that sound high, it's the 4.0

It's a piece of cake, just get a Chiltons or Haynes manual, along with a lifter removal tool and a valve spring compressor.

You might also try an oil additive (if you haven't already) such as CD2 or Marvels Mystery Oil (there are other good ones as well).

I had a bad one tapping in my Comanche. Substituted a quart of Marvels Mystery Oil per oil change and it has been almost 2 years with quiet lifters.

Beats replacing them if you don't have to.

Thanks guys I have tried the additives to no avail, the head has to come off right? So all new gaskets will be required. Should I get oem replacements or are there good aftermarket ones?

Josaff said:
Thanks guys I have tried the additives to no avail, the head has to come off right? So all new gaskets will be required. Should I get oem replacements or are there good aftermarket ones?

No heads don't need to come off only the valve cover

Back