Run In With The Law

JeepBaja

I was on my way to work, when i police officer was heading towards me, and flashed his brights at me, then turns around puts on all his lights pulls me over, he walks up and goes....any idea why i pulled you over today, i was like nope, he goes my fog lights where to bright and blinded him, mind you this was at 1:00 O'Clock in pure day light, then i lost my wallet had no licence or proof of insurance, so he goes wheres the ciggirates i can smell them, so i hand them to him he takes my name birth date comes back throws the smokes back into the jeep, and tells me he is gonna give me a break and that he could have taken me to jail tells me to get my stuff in order and keep my fogs off and sends me on my way, im thinking he had nothing better to do , pulling me over for fog lights in pure day light ....but it was my fault for not having my licence or proof of insurance and im glad he gave me a break![addsig]

were your lights even on?[addsig]

The owners manual for my xj says not to use the fog lights on road.

pinaplebob

sorry to hear about the cops[addsig]

Don't get me wrong and all, but if was a cop and had nothing better to do...i'd bother people for nothing. It would bring a little fun to my day, besides they're prolly cooped up inside that car all day going outta there mind. As a locksmith who just sits in his van until needed you can go nuts from nothing but 1010 winds all day. but they have alotta neat buttons ant stuff to play with[addsig]

You probably would have been arrested in FL for what you describe here. You were, indeed lucky. Apparently he though you were smoking the evil weed, eh? Probably thinks all Jeepers live on the edge and was doing his job protecting the rights of others.

Did you explain to him that pencils don't cause misspelled words?

blue [addsig]

He's talking about cigs, under 18, ya know :lol:

It doesn't matter the time of day, you can still blind somebody with misaligned lights. The bluehairs are always gettin me, with their brights on in the middle of the day :-x [addsig]

Knowledge is power.

I wouldn't worry about the jeep 'manual'
on THIS subject, I would however go to
your State's info web site and simply
pull up the automobile code, hit print, read
when bored, and make sure the next
officer realizes, That not only are you a fine
American Jeepster, but that you also know
the laws.

(ex. in Texas, there are no restricts by hour
of day, and it is clearly defined by mounting
height, TYPE, and Number.
2 Headlamps, 2 Aux, 2 Fog, 2 driving.)
8 LEGAL lights, anytime, anywhere.

MAKE SURE TO HAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS!
ID and Insurance
AND make sure your mounting is correct.

Bounty has written excellent info on proper
conduct for being pulled over. just search
on the left. Follow his advice, and you should
never end up prone and spread.[addsig]

HAHA the bluehairs... i like that[addsig]

Kind of an off subject but as I was reading this it came to me why! Why are you running Fog Lights in the middle of the day? Never give the man a reason and if you do Yes Sir No Sir Thank You and Please. tug[addsig]

Naw, im 17, and i didnt know my fogs where on..lol they are not the factory fogs i had to put them on myself[addsig]

I assume since you put them in yourself, that you have a separate switch dedicated tou your fog lights. I would remove the switch that you have in there and replace it with a switch that has an LED in it. That way when the switch is in the "ON" position, the LED will be lit up and you can tell that your fog lights are on.[addsig]

i had that with my fogs..switch was near where my knee would hit it every now and again..come back to a jeep with a dead battery..i then got a lighted switch[addsig]

I got to admit, the cops in my town don't bug any jeepers. There have been many times where I've thought " I'm busted for sure" But I got to hand it to the ricers for keepin the cops off our backs. he he[addsig]

You know, it is legal to drive w/ your fog lights on! I had always wondered if you could get pulled over for such a thing, so I asked a cop one time if it was legal, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said it is fine, just a little rude. I think it makes driving a lot safer b/c if you are in deer country like I am you can see the sides of the road so much better. I've seen some models of cars that have freakin runway lights they're so bright, so I don't think the fogs are so bad in comparison.[addsig]

You know, it is legal to drive w/ your fog lights on!

Not always so. Illinois Vehicle Code states that, when approaching another vehicle traveling the same direction or opposite, you must dim your headlights AND extinguish all auxillary lighting. Check your state code, it's most likely similar.[addsig]

Illegal in New Mexico and California. Unless it's foggy. Most people don't know how to aim fog lights. They think you just put them in and away you go. They don't do any good unless they're pointed mostly at the ground. Otherwise they just reflect back up into your eyes.[addsig]

Back