saggy springs, and shackles...

Brian Z

My YJ sits kinda funny. looks like the back end is a bit higher than the front. I found a pair of Budget boost add a leaf kit on ebay for about $ 85.00, thought about that or should I just replace the leaf springs all together? then I was told to add bigger shackles, do they make bigger? these on it now are about 6" from top to bottom, or am I looking at this wrong. Are they suppose to go from the top mount and push out forward, or go straight down? I'm wanting to raise it about 2 or 3 inches, not much, just want some sporty tires on it a little wider, Then the next question, I desperatley need to replace the body bushings, Can I just add a 1" body lift in place of the regular bushings? Im not going on a hard core off road adventure, mainly for looks. any ideas would GREATLY be appreciated! Thanks in advance guys....:???:

I'll try to post pics of what i'm talking about, Im at work right now. probably tomarrow.

They do make bigger shackles. The issue I have with big shackles is one they look funny and two you would have to keep an eye on then when off road because the stick out farther and can get hung up on steep approaches. Take a look at your leafs if they are completly flat or have a negative arch to them you should think replacement springs. Add a leafs would fix this problem. 85 sounds fair. I used a add aleaf for my rear but instead of buying new ones I went down to the local junk yard and pulled a set of leafs off of a 97 Yukon for 20 bucks. Separated them and added one to my current springs. As for your body lift you need to put them on top of your bushings the body lift does not replace them.

I would first determine if the sagging is from the springs or the body bushings?

If you want to go the way of the body lift, look at "SkyJacker" 1" Bushings. They replace your exisiting stock bushings and add 1" at the same time. You can do a "Add-a-Leaf" to the rear, but what does the front look like? The $85 maybe better applied to a complete new set????

As for lifted shackles, they are not the best for a daily driver type of vehicle. Do they work? Yes....Do they change the geometery of your suspension and steering.....Most definetly! I my experience, any schackle that provides greater than 1" over stock lenght are not great for street driving. They will reduce your caster angle and cause instability at higher speeds. These things can be fixed/compensated for, but it's just more work.

Back