scratching my heid

DL13

Ok I'm new to having a jeep and I can't find any were on line to find what rear axle I have on my jeep but I did find that it's ether a Dana 35 or a 44, it doesn't tell me exactly which one it is thou.
Dos any one know?

My guess is the D-35. From what I'm gathering most people up-grade to the D-44.

Could be a 44A. It is a 44 with c-clip axles. Post up some pics and we'll let you know. If it is the 44A it uses different lockers than a regular 44 and some have an aluminum center section.

Could be a 44A. It is a 44 with c-clip axles. Post up some pics and we'll let you know. If it is the 44A it uses different lockers than a regular 44 and some have an aluminum center section.
I'll get thous pics don this week end. do you want to see it with the tire off?
Thank you

Here we go the pics of my axle, so I hop these help. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo0021s.jpg
    photo0021s.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 107
  • photo0022s.jpg
    photo0022s.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 89
  • photo0024p.jpg
    photo0024p.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 93
  • photo0026f.jpg
    photo0026f.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 99
Looks like the dana44a with aluminum center section. Take a magnet to the center chunk (not the cover) and see if it's aluminum or cast iron.

Tough to tell from the angle shot of the diff cover.

Ok I'll get more pics. and I'll try the magnet too monday after work bin busy today with the kids. I've don some looking and found that my model came standard with a trac-lock rear differential dos that help any too.
All so SteelHeadz PM me but my user control panel is not showing what I sent so I don't know if he got my PM's
Thanks for the help guys.

HI guys I have to first thank SteelHeadz He got me the info for the rear axle it is a Dana 44 with 3.73 ratio. So know I'm wandering if it is worth puting a locker in it sins it has a trac-lock in it and just put one in the front?

Attachments

• Photo-00222.jpg
    Photo-00222.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 88

Some are actually steel. If it does have a trac lock, replace the clutches and hope for the best. It uses a different locker than a standard 44. Some of them are c-clip axles. Got a buddy with a 98 Limited and his are and no trac lock. How do you know you have one, only real way I know to be sure is to pull the cover. Guess you could trust the cover tag but mine said it had one and didn't. I wouldn't put a lot of money in that axle unless you plan to stay no larger than 33s.

Some are actually steel. If it does have a trac lock, replace the clutches and hope for the best. It uses a different locker than a standard 44. Some of them are c-clip axles. Got a buddy with a 98 Limited and his are and no trac lock. How do you know you have one, only real way I know to be sure is to pull the cover. Guess you could trust the cover tag but mine said it had one and didn't. I wouldn't put a lot of money in that axle unless you plan to stay no larger than 33s.
Well on Wikipedia says the 5.9 Limited comes with a Standard trac-lock rear differential. I attached a link to Wikipedia have a look.

What you have to remember is Wikipedia is written by ANYONE who takes the time to share their opinion. I would pull the cover and see what you really have. Prob wouldn't hurt to change the gear oil anyway.

When SteelHeadz PM me he ask for the last 8# of my VIN# so he could look it up for me and he sad from the factory it appears that your GC has a dana 30 front and dana 44 rear with 3.73 axle ratio and trac-loc. I do want to change the oil anyway and see what it look like. Do you know if Royal Purple gear oil any good?

I was thinking of using it a one time in another SUV I had but I wasn't sure about it. Now I have my GC I want something that will do the job and it definitely looking like Royal Purple.

Royal Purple is good stuff, but I always use Lucas in all my vehicles, and I ALWAYS add a quart of stabilizer when I change my oil too, I've had really good luck with it, personally I've never used Royal Purple, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, it's just a bit pricey for me,lol. Redline makes good stuff too.

when they drop the price about 10 bucks ill think about it purple stuff aint worth the money spent

I'm able to afford it right now so I'm going to try it. I've put in there engine oil and it fills a lot smother.

Back