Scuba Diving Tank For On Board Air?!

outerbeachyj

Hey all, quick question: I have a few extra scuba diving tanks laying around the garage. Could I use one for portable OBA like a "power tank the source" etc.? I could easly make a mounting bracket for it and can have it filled at one of many dive shops in my area for just $5 a fill! My tanks are almost new and hold 3000 psi. I just got back from St. Thomas and saw someone using a scuba tank with an air hose to fill inflatable rafts and floats. I would need a regulator and a tire fill valve/hose. Is 3000 psi too much, not enough? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks!

Paragon Feb 19th

Your best bet would be CO2. I think you get about 12 fills (33 X 12.50") as opposed to air with maybe 3 fills, I think it was, out of each tank. CO2 cost to fill the tank is about $15 to $20 each.

RE: Tug Checking in!

I have a friend that has an adapter for his SCUBA tank for filling tires - at least he did about 10 yrs ago. You could try a dive shop or website. He probably got his at East Coast Divers in Havre de Grace, MD 'cause we bought everything there. I think it was made by Sherwood.

I'd be a little leary of doing any hard offroading with a tank like that. Can you say missle???

I've seen pictures of those things after they had penetrated concrete block walls and such. If you go that route, secure it very well.

Rubicon

TwistedCopper wrote:

I'd be a little leary of doing any hard offroading with a tank like that. Can you say missle???

Twisted, I always wonder about that when reading these "on board air, with tank" threads.

I keep picturing the "Jaws-II, -III, IV, V, VI -- whichever" scene when the Sheriff turns Moby Shark into sushi by pumping a round into the scuba tank in the sharks maw.

{{shiver}} :shock:

I wonder if one of our truck driving Jeepz-sters could educate the rest of us about any DOT regs related to transporting high pressure cylinders?

Scared of sharks and high pressure tanks, Gadget :x

well, ii dont drive a truck, but i do work as a ref and airtech at a paintball field... and there isn't anything illegal about carrying a 118ci n2/hpa tank that has a 5kpsi rating with it sitting at 5k... like i've said before, if you go on ebay, searh under sporting goods/paintball for a good hpa tank, around 118, with a 4500 rating.. if you can find a 4500 psi tank that says its low pressure, you can use a regulator for a paintball gun to bring it down to well under 150, since low pressure tanks are already regulated down to about 300-350, based on the maker... and you can get it refilled at any scuba shop.

and any good painball shop could probably build you a decent setup to get it to a 1/8th npt outlet, which to get it from there to a tire filler shouldn't be too hard.

wally

RE: Transfercase rattle on a 99 TJ

Well I do have a CDL and I can tell you that yes, it is perfectly legal to carry a properly secured full tank of air, co2 or other non-hazmat type gas, but tunnels and bridges may have special restrictions for bottles and they should be adhered to. I'd hate to be in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and have someone's 3500 psi tank go busting into the tunnel wall :shock:

Not only is securing the tank an issue, but protecting the valve as well. An object striking it and knocking off the valve (for example a heavy object hitting it as a result of an impact with another vehicle) would get ugly - real ugly.

I suppose they wouldn't be as bad if you filled it to a lower pressure, I mean is 3500psi really necessary?

I would not reccommend using a paintball regulator unless you have any on hand, since they are expensive and you would need alot of adapters (a paintball air tank and fill station wouldn't be a bargain either). I would try a bulk gas or welding shop to see what they have.

Oh and i agree with Twisted, protect the valve.

Back