Shackles bow out

I have a 86 CJ7 with new Rancho leafsprings 1.5 lift, new shocks and new heavy duty shackles. Heres the prob. My shackles seem to camber out to the side on driver and passenger sides nothing bent as far as I can see. they seem to camber the same as each other but this dont look right to me. also one of my new shackle bushing is ripped. Is the camber thing normal? thanx for any info.

I don't think that's normal, but I could be wrong. Sounds to me as if the shackle bolts aren't tight enough, or the bushings are shot, allowing the shackles to swing side to side on the bolts. Most folks don't torque the shackle bolts down to specs, as it often makes the springs too stiff because they won't move on the shackles. They use loctite and tighten them down just enough to hold them steady in the shackle while still allowing them to pivot front to back and not side to side. If they aren't tightened down enough, they will allow the shackles to swing side to side on the bolt.

But, then again, I'm no expert on suspension, that's just what I've read and heard, so I'm sure there are more experienced folks here that can give you a better idea of what may be happening.

along the loctite route - better to use jamb nuts - but that sounds like it could be the problem - check the bolt/nut on them and see if it fixes it... just my $.02

got her tore down putting a header on it for now, Ill let you know what happens when I get back to the shackles

along the loctite route - better to use jamb nuts
I would use those nylock nuts (nuts with nylon inserts from keeping them from backing out).

Just don't over tighten them or it'll stiffen up the ride. They have to be able to pivot to allow the springs to compress and decompress.

You might try setting the jeep on jackstands under the frame and loosen the main eye bolts, shackle bolts and u-bolts on the axle. Pull the springs inward and the shackles should straighten out. tighten the u-bolts to spec and snug down the shackles, just dont crank them down too tight...sometimes this works. Worked on both of mine. Its worth a try.

You might try setting the jeep on jackstands under the frame and loosen the main eye bolts, shackle bolts and u-bolts on the axle. Pull the springs inward and the shackles should straighten out. tighten the u-bolts to spec and snug down the shackles, just dont crank them down too tight...sometimes this works. Worked on both of mine. Its worth a try.

If that don't work, the only other thing that I can think of is that that spring perch's have been replaced and they weren't welded back in the correct spot. But if that's the case you should have noticed it before you put the new lift on it.

Back