Shifting whoes

joejeepny

The 93 yj has started to grind gears. Third mostly. Second sometimes. Mostly on down shifting. Backlash seems to be growing but that could be my imagination. Time to rebuild? or throwout is not working some how. Clutch and foot feels good though no bind or scratching. Crap. Rebuild or replace? Well I guess I gotta figure out whats wrong first but how? Crap..

I need to try that stuff....I can hardly get into first without working the clutch some and almost always grind in 3rd......was told its probally the syncros.....I'd like to try and rebuild myself, but don't know if I have the smarts to do it.....still thinking about it....hope yours is an easy fix

Hey it is cheap and worth the try! If it dont do the job or if it only buys you a little time it is worth the chance. My ol YJ 87 went from being a bear to shift into any gear on a cold morning to shifting like a dream with the change. and the 2nd to 3rd grind just went away! Who knows if it will fix em all or not but it did mine! tug

penn synchromesh.. Redline MT 90... or Royal Purple Synchromax....

if those don't do the trick... start shoppin for a transmission... not really worth rebuilding an AX transmission

Snitty said:
penn synchromesh.. Redline MT 90... or Royal Purple Synchromax....

if those don't do the trick... start shoppin for a transmission... not really worth rebuilding an AX transmission

What he said

If you're having trouble getting it in gears don't waste your time with Penzoil Synchromesh. It's suitable for the AX5 and AX15 transmissions, but it won't do much for you if your synchros are already in poor shape. Buck up to Redline MT90, a full-synthetic that will likely greatly improve your shifting and possibly put off a rebuild for quite some time.

For anybody that doesn't know, DON'T USE THE FACTORY RECOMMENDED GL5 GEAR OIL IN AN AX5 OR AX15 TRANSMISSION. The high sulfer content of GL5 is very corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers of these transmissions.

Right. The manuals all say GL5 but it was wrong. The dealer will use GL3, which I have yet to see in a parts store.

Soft brass Synchronizers and 118,000 miles dosn't sound good.

I've seen a writeup on using a SM420 by modifying a GM 4banger bellhousing www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/sm420yj To me it seems overkill for a 4banger, too heavy a transmission that will put a lot of parasitic drag on engine that can't spare any HP.

There's also talk of using an AX15 behind the 2.5L by using a Dakota 2.5L bellhousing. The Dakota 2.5L came with the AX15. www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181361

Consider another AX5 if you're going to keep the 2.5L, they'll last if you find a good one and use the Redline from the start. Of course your budget, skill level, and time will dictate here.

My AX15 started grinding and it was progressively getting harder to put it into gear. I put the Redline MT90 in and I havn't had a problem since. Shifts soooo smoooth... def worth a try.

Bounty said:
If you're having trouble getting it in gears don't waste your time with Penzoil Synchromesh. It's suitable for the AX5 and AX15 transmissions, but it won't do much for you if your synchros are already in poor shape.

i've seen otherwise.. synchromesh does help shiftin, and does improve cold weather shifts

Back