shopping for a good 2.5" suspension lift

backinblackTJ

I just recently bought a 2000 sport, 4Litre, automatic. I immediately put 31's

(BF Goodrich 31X10.5 15inch). I like the little extra lift and stability they provided,

but I really want a couple more inches, as I have really hit hard a couple of times already. I want to run 33's.

I am new at this and am looking for as much info as possible. I was told to go with

a suspension lift rather than a body lift, for obvious reasons. I am looking, first of all,

for the best buy with regard to brand name of kit. I browsed Summit cataloge and saw

sky jacker products, but hate just buying the first thing I see. Who makes the best one?

And why? Since the tires I want to run are 2 inches wider than the ones I have now,

what do I need for rims and what do I need to be concerned with as far as backspacing and rubbing on any wheel well areas? I think the rims I have now are 8" and would likely buy 10". If this is accurate, what would you all suggust for quality, size, etc of new rims.

I am also wondering what I may have to do with regard to my existing transmission, or any other minor / major modifications that I would have to do to install a lift kit.

ANY information anyone could give me with respect to installing a kit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

BNB TJ

[addsig]

At that height, Old Man Emu is gonna give you the most bang for your buck. I run their shocks on my TJ and they are the smoothest riding shock that I've ever run across. It'll give ya about 2.5" of lift, just order the "heavy duty" kit, it'll prevent sagging as you add armor and other heavy accesories. At $600 or so pricing, it may seem pricey, but well worth it
image-missing.png
. As far as backspacing goes, 4~4.75" will work fine for ya in that application. I run 4.75 and 33x12.50's. People say it can't be done and yadda, yadda, yadday, but I wheel the snot outta mine and don't have any problems with it. Good luck and all
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

At a true 2.5", 33s will not fit well!!!

I'd suggest looking at a 3-3.5" lift like the Rancho, BDS, Teraflex, RE, etc.

You may have driveline vibs at that height. A transfer case drop is the cheapest way to deal with them but you lose ground clearance. A 1" body lift combined with a 1" Motor Mount Lift is just as effective for mild vibrations. More expensive but without the loss of ground clearance. An SYE with a CV shaft would be the best way to go but it is also the most expensive by far.[addsig]

Back