Should I use this old tire?

anthonyp

I am sure you boyz can help this chick out *Smile*

Okay....buddy of mine gave me a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain 30x9.5 that he has had in his garage for ages. The tire is in new condition. The blue stuff over the white letters and the little nubs on the outside. BUT...based on the DOT code the tire was made in October 1997. There is no apparent dry rot. The tire was never mounted.

I'm thinking of using this one as a spare.
Any thoughts on old tires?

If I run it as a spare (remember it was given to me), do I have to go with 30's for my main tires or can I use 31's?
Thanks!

RE: New Tires

As a spare, it will work...as long as there's no major cracks or any rot anywhere on the tire.

You could still use 31's as well. The only time you might have any problems is if you have a locker on whatever axle the spare ends up on. It could cause it to continuously lock and unlock. Besides that, you would just want to get the flat 31"er repared as soon as possible.

I carry a 42" tire as a spare for my 44's. When I use the spare (only HAD to use it once), I simply put less air in the 44" tire on the same axle that the spare will be on...and more in the 42

RE: A little help from Pocono people

yeah, one of my friends skipped a bead once with his 33's, i was the only one with a full size spare (full size for me at least), so he ran my 31 with his 33s all the way home, the ride was interesting he said, but he was glad i had my full size spare.

Re: RE: New Tires

personaly i would never run 2 different tires on any axle. although a 1" difference isnt going to do too much damage as long as you get your other tire fixed or a new one as soon as you can.

jeepless20 said:
personaly i would never run 2 different tires on any axle. although a 1" difference isnt going to do too much damage as long as you get your other tire fixed or a new one as soon as you can.

The only bad thing that can happen is your tires will wear a little faster...but if it's only used as a spare that won't even happen.

And like I said before, it might mess with a locker a little bit...but it shouldn't break (if it does, it was going to anyways :wink: ).

And it won't handle quite as well....but you should expect that.

Back