Skyjacker vs Rough Country

stumblnyj

I'm thinking about buying a lift kit for my Jeep and wanted to know if you could give me some advice and or recomendations as to what I should save up for. I want to do a 6 inch lift for my YJ and have found a Skyjacker kit ($1500+) and Rough Country ($1000). Besides the price is there anything I will/ should buy to go with the kit. They both include Pitman arms, Brake lines, shocks etc.

I have had a Skyjacker 4" lift on my old Jeep and was happy with it. How ever in this economy if the Rough Country is just as good I will save a few $$ for something else. Thanks in advance

stumblnyj said:
I'm thinking about buying a lift kit for my Jeep and wanted to know if you could give me some advice and or recomendations as to what I should save up for. I want to do a 6 inch lift for my YJ and have found a Skyjacker kit ($1500+) and Rough Country ($1000). Besides the price is there anything I will/ should buy to go with the kit. They both include Pitman arms, Brake lines, shocks etc.

I have had a Skyjacker 4" lift on my old Jeep and was happy with it. How ever in this economy if the Rough Country is just as good I will save a few $$ for something else. Thanks in advance

Just put the Rough Country 4 inch lift on my tj, pretty happy with it so far. And your right for the price you can't beat it.

I just put a 2.5 Rough Country on my YJ and its leaning one inch on the drivers side.
I contacted Rough Country and they asked for pics so I sent them pictures and have not heard back from them yet.
Will let you know what they say.

I had a 4" skyjacker on my TJ. Lift was real nice and complete, biggest problem was the arms would squeek all the time. Shock tubes rusted out pretty quickly but they replaced them the 3 times it happened. I know they redesigned the arms so they don't squeek anymore, then again a YJ won't have that problem. The only good thing I hear from local riders with rough country is the price.

I just put a 2.5 Rough Country on my YJ and its leaning one inch on the drivers side.
I contacted Rough Country and they asked for pics so I sent them pictures and have not heard back from them yet.
Will let you know what they say.

How long has it been since you sent the pics? How has the customer service been to this point? I've always been partial to the "Buy it right the first time" mentality which gets me leaning toward Skyjacker, but if they stand by there product with overall quick responce. Well that is another BIG PLUS for Rough Country

I installed the rough country on my YJ and was happy with it the first year. After a couple of years it sagged about 2". Called rough country and they said that there was nothing that they would do for me.
Get the skyjacker. You get what you pay for.

Rough Countries customer service is amazing.

I'm sorry steady, springs arent meant to last forever, my RC springs are only $230 for 4 - 4" coils and I replace them every 18 months to 2 years, I spend more than 4 times that much on tires and dont ask Goodyear for a new set every "couple of years" because they are worn. I do mostly off-road rock and extreme terrain and I see it as no more than the same maintenance you do anywhere else on your Jeep.

Clyde, you should do a google search for the words "Jeep Lean" and see that it isnt RCs fault or their problem, even factory springs lean, every spring will eventualy lean, its a Jeep thing.

I run a lot of RC stuff on my Jeep because they know how to treat their customers, period. They decided to stand behind me and their products long before I decided to stand behind them.

Rough Country stuff - 4" non-progressive springs, .75" spacers, 1.5" BL, 1" motor mount lift, stainless steel brake lines, 1.5" wheel spacers, rear coil correction plates, full X-Flex control arms, bar-pin eliminators, steering gear box brace, Trans & Trans Skid plate, front & rear adj. track bars, Motive Gear 4:88 Ring & Pinions.

Rough Country in action

Last edited:

I have had a couple BDS suspensions and will use knowone else now!! There warranty is what it says.... I wrecked a jeep in a ditch on the side of the road and bent a leaf spring, they replaced it with no questions asked and I had it with in a couple days. The springs flex nice and the ride is pretty good. My brother and I both used bds and installed them at the same time, but for some reason his rode better than mine, mine was a 79 and his was a 86 maybe that had something to do with it. I think the company and their products are great!!

I would have said go BDS from the start but you just asked about Rough Country and Skyjacker. BDS is the best, you won't find anything bad about BDS.

i ran rough country on my cherokee. i loved it. rode like a dream and never gave me any trouble

adjustable trac bar
3.5" lift coil springs and rear leaf springs
lower control arm drop kit
i also had 2" terraflex spacers to give me a total of 5.5"

I think the Rough Country lift kit is a good all around package, but it all depends on the type of use you plan to put your Jeep through.

I wouldn't put a basic RC kit on a vehicle that would be used in hard core off road situations, i.e. King of the Hammers, or pro competition rock crawling events.

However, I have seen many Jeeps off road tackling some pretty tough obstacles with the RC springs.

Your call: get a decent lift kit for a great price, or spend twice as much on a heavier duty setup.

Not their fault or there problem?
When I contacted them they agreed it shouldnt do that and wanted pictures which I sent on the 24th of April and havent heard back from them yet and honestly dont believe I will.

I personally believe their customer service Sucks and I wont buy another Rough Country product even if its 1/4 of the price of the others.

Not their fault or there problem?
When I contacted them they agreed it shouldnt do that and wanted pictures which I sent on the 24th of April and havent heard back from them yet and honestly dont believe I will.

I personally believe their customer service Sucks and I wont buy another Rough Country product even if its 1/4 of the price of the others.

Do you also ask your tire dealer to replace your tires free because they have mysteriously worn down after a only a couple years?

Sorry, in an offroad vehicle springs, like tires, fluids and money, are a consumable resource, they wont last forever and perhaps you havent heard from them because you didnt tell them initialy how old the springs were.

I installed a 4" Skyjacker kit on my Yj about 10 yrs, and 60,000+ miles ago. Still sitting the same as ever, no noticeable sag, and it flex's like a champ. I've beat this thing like it owes me money and had no issues at all. If I was to buy another lift for anything I would deffinatly use them again.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk 2

I did tell them how old the springs are. There less than a month old so I don't think that it should be considered consumable at that age and with 300 miles. Before you begin cheerleading for RC get your facts. RC has the cheapest lift on the market for a reason. You admitted having to change out springs on a regular basis. I understand on an off road vehicle things wear out but you can't chalk everything up to "a jeep thing" and move on.

And no I don't ask anyone to replace my tires because there worn, I believe most people understand how things work, how long they last and the process of maintaining a vehicle. Maybe you get outstanding customer service from RC because they know you keep replacing springs. Have you ever tried a different brand? Or are you content to keep buying cheap replacements?

Back