Snow and MTR's - good combination

TwistedCU

My little 31" MTR's just took me for the most sure footed ride in the snow I've ever driven. I've had quite a few 4WD vehicles with a variety of tires and I was absolutley amazed at how well they performed in the snow today. I even ran around in 2WD for a while and it was impressive.

I guess everybody thinks what they've got are the best, but I'm tellin ya these meats kick arse in the snow.

I would never know. Just wait till you see them on the rocks. WOW!

RE: I Don

MY BFG ATs were pretty good in the snow, unfortunately, the last 50 odd thousand miles have taken off most of the tread, so now I can spin 4 wheels when I hit the gas...

Glad you all can get around in this winter as well as, if not better than I can. :)

RE: Car is clunking in 4x4...help lots of snow tonight

YJTino said:
How about in the sand and mud?

I read on this forum that they were not a great mud tire, but I've been through some pretty deep and sloppy mud without getting stuck and open differentials. I'm sure there's better mudders out there but they suit me fine.

As for sand - never tried it.

I honestly don't know if I would buy another set. They are pretty expensive and the only reason I bought mine were because I found the set of 5 brand new for $500. They would have cost around $175 a tire from a shop or even tire rack. If the tread lasts a long time I will probably drop the cash for another set.

LadyJeepFreak - I thought you had a set of Khumo mudders?

RE: hard doors

Always careful... I'm on the road before anyone else is in the morning, so it's all good... Hey, when ya live in a state where it can snow any month of the year, without warning, you learn to drive in it pretty well :)

Absowutewy the best in mud, snow, or sand....I'll never, ever run anything but mudders on my Jeep again. Ran then on the ol' Toy except for the last set I bought were AT's....those sucked! The originals when I bought the Jeep were AT's, too, and I had to keep it wrapped pretty tight to get anywhere in the mud or snow. With the mudder's, I haven't been in any mud yet where I HAD to have 4wd....just ran it occasionally to throw a bit more mud!!

RE: Okay, THAT freaked me out!

For the record, MTR is a Goodyear tire and that's what I was really referring to, it's actually MT/R:

gy_wrangler_mtr-3.jpg

I've had a couple other mud terrain tires in the past. The MT/Rs are not a standout in the mud, but my post was to praise their snow traction. It's a little different tread pattern than the run of the mill MT

RE: Tire grooving

Well I will say they are alot better than I expected after all I read. They are alot better than my BFG AT's too.

As streetable as they are, I'll take the comprimise. Good tire for the DD/Weekend warrior.

RE: Re: RE: Quote the Raven...er..Jeepz Peepz

I can also say they work GREAT in the snow and ice and rocks.......but they do suck in the mud. There's only one tire for the mud ....SWAMPER

RE: suspension

Bounty__Hunter said:
I've never seen the MT/R's do worth a darn in the mud.

Well, they are goodyear tires after all.. I have yet to see a goodyear tire that was good anywhere but pavement.

RE: MP3

I liked the predecessor to the MT/R, the Goodyear MT that was on many of the hummers (not the more agressive Goodyear RT). I never saw how well they performed but I always liked the look of the tire.

I think MT/R's are overrated and overpriced, they came out when the market was ripe for a new MT. Now they're all the craze, deserved or otherwise.

Back