So to make matters worse...

Have you ever noticed that when you're having a shitty day, your jeep can tell and amuses itself by pissing you off further? You know, like when you're pumping gas on a YJ and the way she tells you she's full, is not by turning the pump off, but by squirting gas all over you. I love my jeep, but its like one of those puppies that the only reason it is still alive is because its so damn cute. Well today I was having a rough day and leaving work, I got in and drove to the gas station. I go to get out of my door and there was no budging. Nothing. It was liked my door was locked, but I don't lock the doors. Kind of like it was locked inside the mechanism. Well, after body slamming my door several times, I finally crawl out of passenger door and went to the outside. Didn't even budge. Has anyone had this problem and can tell me how to fix it?
Sammy

edited by: fourwheelinhoney, Mar 27, 2003 - 11:25 PM[addsig]

This should cheer you up. Try this. Someone please make this a link------->www.dancingbush.com :lol: :lol: This is funny. :wink: Sully[addsig]

is it both handles or just the interior door handle?

Most likly will be a threaded actuator rod inside the door. I had a similar problem but was only the inside handle. The little retaining clip that secures the rod to the handel broke, 30 cent fix from NAPA.[addsig]

But if I can't get it open, how can I fix it? Its both handles. The door won't budge.[addsig]

You say you didn't lock it, but have you tried putting you key in and just wiggling it around to see? Will the handles move?

I'm not near my Jeep right now, to look. But it may be possible, albeit very difficult, to take the door panel off, while the door is closed. If so, take it off and take some 3n1 oil to all moving joints.

And yes, I hate filling up my 95 YJ too. I was on the way to visit a customer. This was a very important meeting for me. I had just picked up my slacks from the dry cleaner, bought a new Perry Ellis dress shirt and just had my Cole Hahn shoes shined. Well, I forgot to get gas the night before, but what can go wrong? I've filled up thousands of tanks of gas. Well, "toby" was full and just like a little baby, it decided to spit up on me! I had to call the customer and reschedule the appointment for later that day, so I could go home and change. Needless to say I was PO'd! Ruined my favorite dress shoes and slacks!

edited by: bigTlilODD, Mar 28, 2003 - 09:19 AM[addsig]

You should be able to get the cover loose from inside the door. after that you should be able to move the rod to open the door. If that doesn't work try and locate a "Slim Jim".
it what the police and others us to open locked doors. It might do the trick to open the door. And I would guess that like the last post suggested you ahve something inside the door broken. But the good thing is it's a easy fix with a few new parts from your local dealer or wrecking yard if you have one close. Anyways good luck and maybe you could go topless and just climb in that way and everyone would think your just showing off. :lol: [addsig]

What you have to do is remove the interior panel. Recline and slide the seat as far back as it gos, and tilt the wheel up, gives you room to work. The pull strap and window crank are removed torx head wrench. pull the panel off by pulling the clips around the parimeter. In the upper rear portion of the door, just below the chrome trim there is a panel held on with 5 screws, pull that off. You will see a various amount of threaded rod attacted to the lock mechanism and bear claw mechanism (all one unit) start pulling on them till you find the one that opens the door. The door SHOULD open thus making repairs a lot easier.
when you pull the plate off, There are two rods in direct site, and a couple hidden. If memory serves me right, it is the topn one of the two.[addsig]

Thanks for all the tips...I'll have to give it a try Saturday. Hopefully it will have stopped raining by then.

You mean your wheel tilts?? ;-) Impressive!

edited by: fourwheelinhoney, Mar 28, 2003 - 01:08 PM[addsig]

You mean your wheel tilts?? Impressive!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. And his seat reclines!!!!!!!!

It'll be easier to just remove your seat. I think it's only 4 bolts. You may need 2 people to do this. One inside the Jeep, the other underneath it.[addsig]

I'm so glad you guys want to help me with this, but you gotta keep in mind that for the next month I'm stuck at school with next to ZERO tools. So anything that I can't do with my little fingers I can't do. I had an issue with my back hatch not opening for like 8 months, but the excellent quality of West Michigan roads rattled the thing open. Yes it was broke, but it was open. I ended up having a unimportant bolt removed and put in the place it was needed, so that fixed that problem.

You should have seen me yelling at her in the gas station. I was so mad. And I look like a retard crawling through my passenger door. I think the problem may be from that accident I had this winter. After I hit the girl, I couldn't get the door open because it was stuck and my side panel had buckled. The mechanism that makes the door stay latched shut had been bent, but I thought it was fixed. So maybe something is stuck now, I don't know. [addsig]

sammy - sad but true, a girl with a body like yours can get stuff done for her for free. take your jeep to a full-serve gas station with a guy pumping there. act like this is the first time its done this to you, and he'll probably whip out some tools and fix it for you. :)[addsig]

How funny! Way to make a girl blush. Ya know, I just said to my roommate last night that I was gonna have to go flirt with a mechanic...cuz it's driving me nuts and I don't have any money...so it's gotta be free. I looked at it again on my way to class and the bolts are new...but not on the other door...looks like it may have happened before. It's probably rigged.[addsig]

I think the problem may be from that accident I had this winter. After I hit the girl, I couldn't get the door open because it was stuck and my side panel had buckled.

Sammy,

Yikes, sounds like you have 'tweaked' your frame, or hopefully only the tub. That would explain why your driver's door is jammed into the opening. When you look at the trailing edge of the door, can you see any gap between the door and the body? If your door is jammed, it's not the mechanism - unless the linkage was damaged (unlikely) in the collision.

Take her to a body shop and ask for a free estimate. They’ll tell you how much it'll cost to fix, if it is jammed. I'd hold on pulling the door panel off until you rule-out any body damage.

By the way, the fuel spitting back at you is a function of the fuel nozzle and not your baby. There’s a mechanism that is supposed to shut-off the fuel flow when it even touches the tip of the nozzle. If that's not working well, the fuel will come right back at you. (You’re not smoking, are you???)

Always stand to the side; down wind of the fuel nozzle and you at least won't get it on your clothes.

One last thing, what's your major at Michigan?

blue

[addsig]

Okay, the panel underneath the door is buckled, but other than that, there is no body damage. I was having a hard time opening and shutting my door, but something was bent latch mechanism and it kept catching whenever I shut it. It quit doing that and was opening fine, until that day when it just stopped. It's not stuck, it's like it's locked. You know how when you pull on a door handle because you think it's open and it snapped back because it's locked? That's what it feels like. And for the gas tank, it isn't the pumps, because it happens all the time. At different gas stations even. Its like the angle of the end of gas tanks are weird on YJ's. But anyway, back to the door. When I looked at it yesterday, the screws that are on the inside of the door in front of the locking mechanism look brand new and they don't on the other door. So the guy that had it before me could have had problems too. I'm not sure...When it warms up again (hopefully Monday) I'll take it somewhere and flirt to get it looked at for free. But until then I'll have to keep crawling through my passenger door!
[addsig]

sammy - i probably should have asked first, but can i hit on you? :-D

lol
-nate[addsig]

Wow. I think you're the first guy that has ever asked to hit on me...how sweet!
Do whatever you want with me, I can take it! ;-) [addsig]

Well if your going to get it looked at, then here is the sure fire way to get the guys attention. First wear one of those outfits, you know the one your mom said;
"no way in hell your going out in that" :-O
Then make sure you make lots of noise pulling up. As the guy comes out to see whats going on you do your best action packed crawl out the passenger side. Then after he picks his mouth up off the ground, you explane the problem. And b4 you know it, it will be working like new. If that don't work you get right in and drive up to alaska and I'll fix it for you. :cool: [addsig]

If I were 20 years younger and momma Tug was not such a good shot I would have already been in your parken lot with a tool box and flowers. However I am to old and momma tug is my ture love so maybe some of these guys will get a move on there Sammy. Oh yea thanks for your kind words of support for me the other day. That was nice of you. ;-)

Hope it all works out. Your fellow jeeper Tug[addsig]

Back