Spring over lift

zatog

I was wondering about a spring over lift, if it was worth it or if i should just wait to buy a suspension lift kit . I want to fit like 33" tires but i don't know how do it at all.

Without welding skills and minor fabrication skills, you're better off with a 4" lift kit. A SOA conversion is worth it if you know how. Done correctly, it is not cheaper or easier than a spring under lift kit.

I think people tend to think a SOA is a very simple mod, or a very cheap mod at least, but it is not. The advantage of SOA is that you will have greater flex because the spring pack is flatter (lift springs are arched, and thus make for a harsher ride, while SOA keeps the stock ride because it uses the stock springs). unfortunately, SOA also causes spring warp. There are many videos and explanations of this on the web, so I will not go into this, but it is bad for the springs, which means you need to install parts that you would not with a lift spring to address this (ladder bar or anti-warp bar). You also need to weld, which you dont need to do with a lift spring.

In all honesty, SOA may be too much lift for 33's (35's should be better), as it is ussually around 5" of lift, but it would work. But keep in mind you will need to:

1. Cut your spring perches off the axles
2. Weld in new ones at the correct driveline angles
3. Extend all the lines (Brakes, breathers, air lines if applicable, etc)
4. Install a SYE and CV shaft (which means new shafts)
5. Extend the front shaft as well
6. Install an anti-warp bar for the rear
7. Dont forget the new U bolts; dont reuse the old ones!

Also, keep in mind that if you stock springs are worn out, you need to get new springs anyway... Mine were done for when i installed my lift (they had a negative or upward arch by the time I lifted my Jeep).

To me, the main advantage of a spring lift kit is the simplicity when you install, as (1) most of them include everything you need, and (2) everything bolts on. If you do a 4" lift with a TC drop (included in most kits), you dont even need to install a SYE (I would recommend it, but it is not mandatory).

Very good points. I'd add that you don't necessarily need a traction bar, I'm able to get by without one due to the lack of power (2.5L) and beefed up stock spring packs built to withstand excessive wrap. Rubicon Express makes a SOA 1.5" spring for the same purpose.

I was also able to use the stock front driveshaft with no mods.

It's a great time to install stronger axles, or if you want to upgrade axles, it's about the same amount of work to do SOA at the same time.

Back