Spring replacement problem

lah2420

I just got the first rear spring off tonight on the driver's side. I compared the old and new springs and everything lined up. When I went to mount the spring, I could align the pin on the spring pack with the hole in the bottom of the axle bracket and could put the rear shackle on. The front eye was so far forward that I couldn't get it lined up. I took the ubolts loose and can get both the front and rear of the spring mounted, but then the axle alignment pin is about 1/2 inch behind the hole it needs to go into. The rear shackle is also tilted forward instead of straight down like it was before.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground instead of just the one I am working on? As it is, I can't move the axle enough to make this work.

Both wheels should be off the ground, so you can pull the axle fore and aft to line up with the spring centerpin.

I just got the first rear spring off tonight on the driver's side. I compared the old and new springs and everything lined up. When I went to mount the spring, I could align the pin on the spring pack with the hole in the bottom of the axle bracket and could put the rear shackle on. The front eye was so far forward that I couldn't get it lined up. I took the ubolts loose and can get both the front and rear of the spring mounted, but then the axle alignment pin is about 1/2 inch behind the hole it needs to go into. The rear shackle is also tilted forward instead of straight down like it was before.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground instead of just the one I am working on? As it is, I can't move the axle enough to make this work.
Like Bounty said, you need to have the wheels off the ground. I usually pin the frame end first, as the shackle end allows for a little movement ;)

Hang the main eye first, then get the center pin aligned into the axle bracket(this is when you'll probabaly need to move your axle back some), then pin the shackle eye. Worked for me.

Ive always hung my springs and then put the axle where ever it needed to go, but thats on an SOA. I guess SUA you would have to do like TC said.

Thanks. After 2 hours of fighting this, I came inside and then started wondering if that was the problem. Everything I do on this is a learn-as-I-go deal. I'll jack up the other side tomorrow and try it. I'm also prepared to kick myself when it goes together easily.

Put the other side on jack stands and got both springs replaced in about 2 hours. New springs raised the rear end about 3 inches over what the old springs were. I knew they were sagging, but didn't realize how much.
Now on to the front!!
Hopefully my degree from the School of Hard Knocks education will suffice to do that end without further learnings in store for me.

Back