Starter issue???

acessna1

Just replaced the battery and alternator in my 86 CJ7. When I turn the key I hear a click and then nothing. I've checked and rechecked all the connections. So do I go ahead and replace the starter and if so do I replace the starter solenoid while I'm at it. Thank you in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

Normally a clicking sound when you try to start your Jeep is a indication that the solenoid is stuck and needs replacing. It Is a simple job and one can be purchased at your local auto parts store for normally less than $ 20.00

What if I tried going across the solenoid? I was told before that it should start if I did that. I tried it and still nothing. I guess I'm going to start by replacing it and hopefully it works. Thank you very much for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

You COULD have a. Stuck Starter Solenoid -- OR there might be an Issue with the Starter. You can TRY replacing the Solenoid -- as a FIRST thing to try. If it Fixes it-Great! If not, Back to the drawing board (starter?). How many miles on your Engine? Which. Motor do you have IN. Your Jeep?? JB

how much voltage is your battery reading?

test the starte on the bench or on the ground with a set of jumper cables. If it works under those conditions it should work in the car if the battery is strong.

If the solenoid isn't it, crawl under the jeep and see if the bendix gear is sticking on the starter. It shouldnt be engaged to the flywheel, if it is take a screw driver and pry it back then try to start. If it starts get a starter.

Back