Steering Box Seal Kit??

Jeeper99

Does anyone know how big of an ordeal it is to put a seal kit in a steering box? Mine has been leaking for a few months and I'm just getting tired of adding PS fluid all the time. I've tried the Lucas stop leak and it just hasn't helped. The box is leaking where the steering shaft goes in (on Top) I just don't have the funds to buy a new box anytime soon so I'm hoping this is workable.

99 TJ 4.0 if it makes a lick of diffrence. :shades:

0058-1.jpg

Patience is a virtue. Number 1 rule of thumb when you deal with something that requires how you took it apart and putting it back together the same way you found it. The input pinion shaft seal is not as bad to replace but the output shaft seal to the pitman arm is another story. Removing the gear box and placing it on a bench would be ideal. You will need to dis-assemble the unit to replace the output seal. If you decide to tackle this job i'll get you some info. with the specs and the process of rebuilding it.

Last edited:
Looks like a Saginaw box. I did my Dodge Cummins one - it wasn't too bad. Yes, as Steelheadz said it is very important not to rush and be sure to get it back together exactly right. You don't want to make the steering dangerous. I got the kit at NAPA. It came with new seals, O rings, piston rings, packings, etc. I did not use all of the parts... I only replaced the ones in the control valve section and the outer seals. I had to replace my input shaft (the torsion bar stub shaft) because it had a worn groove from the seal (lots of miles on this baby). I sourced a used one from a gas powered Dodge truck (which tend to have lower miles on them). Once you see how this works you'll cringe anytime you see someone force the steering wheel to steer a dead vehicle. It's amazing that the little torsion bar doesn't just snap. Best of luck - John

Thanks Guys! I'm a little hesitant at the thought of this, but I learn better hands on. Plus, I like to know the inner workings of such things.

I can get the Master Seal Kit for $20 from my buddy at the parts store, which is alot easier on the wallet than a new box.

Hey Mikey, whenever you get a chance, I'll be greatful for whatever info you can get for me. I appreciate it!

I got a rebuilt box for my 01 wrangler for fairly cheap at NAPA. I also hear you can swap it out with a durango gear box. I just got done replacing mine because i had the same leak as you. I heard it was harder to replace the seals then to just replace the box, so can't wait to hear how it goes for you. Where did you get the skull decal?

I got a rebuilt box for my 01 wrangler for fairly cheap at NAPA. I also hear you can swap it out with a durango gear box. I just got done replacing mine because i had the same leak as you. I heard it was harder to replace the seals then to just replace the box, so can't wait to hear how it goes for you. Where did you get the skull decal?

Thanks for the info. I got the decals made from a guy on Ebay.

Back