Steering Stabilizer Question

JJs 88 Wrangler

Hello,
I recently lifted my Jeep 2 inches and put 31” tires on it. It tends to wonder a bit when driving. I changed the steering shaft, tie rod ends, and the steering box about 2 years ago. I also replaced the steering stabilizer with a stock one. Do you think this could be the issue, and if so, should I replace it with a dual stabilizer or a single Skyjacker or another off-road brand one?

Thank You in advance.

JJ

wander is from alignment, isn;t it? like the toe being out to much? or it caster that makes the wander? one of those two is what causes wander if your steering/suspension components are good

Did you get it aligned? I believe that toe-out will cause a Jeep to wander.

Here's my alignment sheet after adding a 2" spacer lift

880d1201142732-lift-your-tj-installing-rubicon-express-2-coil-spacer-kit-jeep_tj_alignment.jpg

You need to have the caster checked. To much will cause your Jeep to wonder. You should have around -5 degrees.

I had an alignment done after the lift. They told me to change the steering stabalizer which I replaced with a new stock one.

You then should have a least 2 degree shims under your leaf spring pads. Not sure if you already have them installed.

So you dont think it is the steering stabilizer at all then?

No. The steering stabilizer doesn't help guide or align the Jeep - it only helps minimize bumps and vibrations in the steering. It's really just a shock absorber for your steering system.

The thick part of the shim faces the rear to tilt the pinion down. You may have already known that.

Last edited:
I see that you have had some great info. given to you. But before I'd go out and just buy some shims, there are a couple of other thingst o consider. You have added lifted shackles and springs which in turn changes the geometry of your steering. You have likely moved your positive caster angle towards the neutral (zero) mark. It's probably not negative as this would be more serve than a little wandering.

As pointed out by the other members, caster, toe and camber all play parts in the stability of your steering and toe also has a significant role in tire wear. Unlike the later model Jeeps, your YJ (along with CJ's)comes from the factory at a pre-set, non adjustable caster and camber angle. I would guess that caster angle is the real problem and you can measure it yourself with a simple tool (a magnetic protractor, see photo). You can also measure your toe angle at home as well, but it with be expressed in inches not degrees (obviously a shop can do this way more accurate). It's unlikely that your camber angle has changed to any real degree unless you have damaged the axle/differential or upgraded to a different type of frontend. Camber can be changed as well using shims.

Try checking your caster angle with the protractor. Simply find a level spot and place the protractor on the top ball joint stud. You do not have to take the tire off as long as you can read it, but if you take the tire off you'll need to load the axle with the weight of the vehicle. You'll want to see an angle greater than 5 degrees but not extreme either (between 5-8 should work). Regardless the shims come in 2 degree increments, generally 2, 4 and 6 degrees. You would simply do the math for your vehicle.
DSC_0007[1].JPG

To check your toe angle, simple make an even chalk line round your tire by lifting the frontend off the ground, placing the chalk on a bucket or box and spin each tire slowly. Then lower the vehicle and measure thedistance between the lines in back and then the front. Try to use the same height front and back as close to the center of the hub as possible. The front or forward measurement should be less than the rear, "Toe-in".Somewhere in the area of 3/16th of an inch should work.

RV for sale 002.JPGRV for sale 001.JPGRV for sale 011.JPG

Last edited:

Yes, shims although I dont like using them on the front axle. When you add a shackle lift you are tilting only one end of your springs, which in turn tilts your axle and your pinion, which puts more stress on your ujoints and totally changes your steering geometry. This is usually seen with shackle lifts 2" or more. I would do all the checks sugested above. No, I also do not believe it is your stabilizer.

Last edited:
Holy MegaShackle, Batman!!! In order to achieve a lift of 2" with shackles the shackles would need to be 4" longer than stock, so you're cruising around with 8" long shackles. There is the source of your wander, as those long shackles have decreased the caster in the front axle. Caster is when the upper balljoint is closer to the rear of the Jeep than the lower balljoint. Caster helps with the steering wheel 'return to center' affect and helps prevent wander.

You want between +5* and +8* caster, meaning the upper balljoint should be closer to the rear of the Jeep than the lower balljoint by at least 5* from vertical.

If you REALLY want to fix the problem, you'll remove the long shackles and install a proper lift. Consider a 2.5" spring kit or at the minimum a long add-a-leaf kit.

you'll remove the long shackles and install a proper lift. Consider a 2.5" spring kit or at the minimum a long add-a-leaf kit

Read more: http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/40670-steering-stabilizer-question.html#ixzz28XAEcRkb

EVEN BETTER ADVICE.^
I try to tell people that run long shackles to get rid of them all the time and they just dont get my explanation as to why and leave them on and wonder why there jeep wont drive straight. My friend just got a jeep and it has huge shackles, Ive got it driving as straight as I can, with out him getting rid of those shackles thats as good as he is going to get.

Back