straight pipe it?

gonzo891

i have been looking at exhaust systems and they all say "less constriction" so i was wondering in i just remove my cat ( thats all i have on my cj no muffler) if it would give me more power plus would it be really loud if it is then then theres no way i'm doin it i had a hole in my pipe about the size of a gulf ball about a foot 2 inchs before the cat and it was extremly loud if anyone had put a staright pipe in let me know[addsig]

if you want power with low sound... knock out the cat and put in a muffler.... if you just put a straight pipe in, cat or no cat... you'll be loud.... then... just a pipe, with no cat.... thats sluggish[addsig]

Loose the cat add a glasspack would be cheapest, or a flowmaster, Dynomax or any of the better know flow through exaust mufflers. It is my understanding that you need some sort of chamber to create back pressure. I opped for the cheap glass pack route but am going to go alittle quiter with a flowmaster soon. Tug[addsig]

i disconnected my cat once cause i was bored and wanted to tinker with my car. Not a good idea! First of all it sounded like a cheap ricer exaust on steriods and for some reason wouldnt idle right? and second of all my parents informed me that it was illegal to drive on the strret like that. Just thought you would like to know[addsig]

I love mine without the cat... I like the sound, very far from a ricer sound. If I got another jeep... I would only remove the muffler though... I like it better with a cat and no muffler.... but i now have a muffler, and no cat.... I get about the same power either way... [addsig]

No cat and a Glaspack sounds notheing like a ricer on mine. Deep Throaty Roar and rumble witha great back down growl. I love it, some times I wish it were a bit quiter though. Must be getting old. Tug[addsig]

I had my cat removed and a flowmaster installed. I noticed a little more power on the bottom end and about 1 mpg better. It is loader than a stock muffler but Tug got the sound description right. Besides, don't you want people to hear you coming so they'll look? :) [addsig]

well i think hat made mine sound imported was the fact that i was being a dip and disconnected it right where it comes out of teh engine bay so i think i disconnected the cat and the muffler and god knows what else. Oops [addsig]

my only advice is SEAL IT UP RIGHT. i didnt when i had a test pipe on mine and the sound grew progressively worse, all raspy and ricey.[addsig]

yes... a leak will give you a rice sound... if its sealed up well, it should be great[addsig]

whatever way you decide to go be careful about state inspection. the law states that if the vehicle had a cat then it must be there. by not having it you may end up failing the tailpipe emission tests. they test for 3 gases now . dont want to pop your bubble just some friendly advice. i see cars in my shop with earlier motors all hopped up and i have to run them on the car years specs. a lot wont pass.[addsig]

tug is right you need some kind of back pressure in your exhaust. if not you will have problems later on with valves leaking and smoking real bad. just get you a 12 inch glasspack and put that on. but the trick is to drive your jeep around for about 30 minutes to get the exhaust hot then take it to the car wash and spray water you the tail pipe that will bust that pack and make it louder but still have plenty of back pressure
hope that helps Kid[addsig]

cherokee kid has it down. my neighbor's f-250 350 something huge has glasspacks on it and it sounds like its gonna blow out some windows at idle. its music to my ears each morning leaving for school[addsig]

Does anyone know anybody who will make me a "Straight" pipe to replace the cat? This would be used strictly for off-roading purposes, of course... ;) Anyone out there with a TIG or something else who's done it and wants to make a little $?

Thanks,

JJ[addsig]

any exhaust place will, just dont tell them its for the cat or they cant legally do it. i just called the local place and said i need a piece of exhaust piping, gave them the dimensions sizes etc and went in and picked it up. it cost 35 bucks as i recall. make sure your measurements are PRECISE tho, unless you've got a welder or something to seal it with. i didnt get mine close enough and had a little leak, tho most of the leak was from getting fed up with the project and in frustration and anger cutting several slices in the pipe, yes i know, very stupid, and i paid for it with raspy ricer sound. just dont do a half arse job and you're good to go.[addsig]

Back