Stroking a 4.0

FiCJeep

I need some direction in where to find some information about stroking a 4.0 with 4.2 parts. I may get an 87 XJ engine and combine it with my 4.2 YJ engine to gain horsepower and torque and just need some direction on where to find some information on this process.

Thanks

RE: 1989 jeep cherokee

The '87 XJ has the Renix 4.0L, not the 4.0L HO. I would hold out for a '91+ 4.0L HO so you have the improved cylinder head.

RE: Dana 60 REAR axle

Yeah, you would be cheating yourself by putting that low port head on a stroker. You could go ahead and build up the 87 block, and get a HO head from the junkyard. The 91-95 heads flow the best.

PM me with any questions... i've got the stroker research down pat

There's no doubt in my mind that a stroker will put out some serious torque, but how much horse power should one expect?

Golen engine service lists their 4.6l stroker as having 260hp and 295lbs/ft but I've heard it makes more with a good setup
They use a good camshaft, but a bit conservative for a manual transmission with good gears. There are other upgrades you could make to that basic package too, like roller rockers, that would up it a little more.
There are bigger stroker setups you can do too. I think they are up to 5.0l now, with HP going well over 300. You can end up making some serious power in a durable package that pulls hard across the board. It's not so much the peak power numbers, but the length of the torque curve that makes a long stroke inline engine so appealing. With the stroked 4.0, you also get enough breathing ability from the better head and the bigger bore, which allows good hp numbers. Where a small displacement V8 is going to become "peaky" the more power you pull from it, the I6 is going to maintain a decent bottom end. A 5.0l stroked I6 would make my built 5.0l 304 V8 look like a punk.

Back