suspension fun!

indiemo

hey all. some weird stuff been happening with my TJ lately. it does this thing where if I'm going about 55, around a turn or if I hit a bump, the thing starts shimmying like crazy and I have to slow her down to about 50 to keep her on the road. i've visually checked the sway bars and just had it aligned and neither of those fixed the problem so I'm stumped. i've also noticed that sometimes when I'm going around sharp turns, usually low speed. i'll hear a kind of popping noise coming from the right side somewhere. haven't decided if it's front or rear but it doesn't sound too healthy. could this be related to the wobble? could it maybe be a broken belt in one of my tires or something? i'm thinking it has to be suspension related though. anyway, i'll probably take a closer look tonight but thought i'd throw it on the board for any suggestions.

It's called "Death Wobble". As the name hints, you may want to get it fixed soon. Check your lug nuts, track bar and bushings, then your ball joints where the knuckle is attached to the axle The alignment shop should have looked at all these things.

i agree... an alignment shop should have noticed anything going wrong with the front suspension... could you possibly be experiencing a bad body mount? and the wind at 55 may be just enough to start picking up the body?

i think i narrowed it down last night. everything looked ok visually, so I started tugging on suspension components last night. everything seemed in order until i got to the driver side of the sway bar. it seemed like there was some play in the mount between the sway bar and the linkage that attaches to the axle, but couldn't really tell because of the rubber boot around the joint. so i put a jack underneath the front bumper and started lifting the body. low and behold, as i jacked it up, what appeared to be the ball of a ball joint, that was attached to the sway bar lifted right out of the rubber boot of the linkage. so it was pretty much just floating in there. so it appears that i've been driving around with only half of my swaybar attached. i'm not sure what would cause that ball to come out of the joint, but whatever. does that sound about right? anyone ever have this happen to them before?

Are you running with the stock sway bar links...they have a habit of failing under extreme usage....If this is it, I recomend getting rid of the stock linkages, and going with some disconnects. There is a wide variety out there and any type will greatly improve your front end flex

i am currently running the stock links. i have been thinking about putting discos on so i guess this is the perfect opportunity to do so. i'll probably go with the jks models. could the stock ones have blown out because of the 2 inch susp lift I have?

The stock swaybar endlinks are weak, and any amount of lift with them will wear them out quicker.

If you invest in quick disconnects, get the ones with the removeable center bar that you can lengthen when you lift higher. Good investment.

Back