suspension lift

aliaz

Is there a quick way to tell if my Jeep is lifted? I don't see anything obviously aftermarket.

I've got bad death wobble, trying to track down the cause :???:

Thanks

Is there a quick way to tell if my Jeep is lifted? I don't see anything obviously aftermarket.

I've got bad death wobble, trying to track down the cause :???:

Thanks

You could start by posting a photo. What year is it? And also what size tires are on it? All that will help us figure it out.

There are many causes, have you tried searching this forum and the internet for 'death wobble'?

A lift alone will not cause it, it's generally loose and/or worn parts, stock or aftermarket. Post pics of things like the springs, control arms, steering linkage, etc.

Yep, I searched for "Death Wobble" and it seems that there can be any number of things that could be wrong. The reason why I was asking about whether it was lifted is I was wanting to know if I should replace the control arms with adjustable ones. I saw that Terry Mason fixed him by correcting his camber. I could just get some camber bolts.

I'll take some pics in a bit and post them

Thanks

what kind of Jeep is it? That would help in troubleshooting

Also if you can describe at what speed the wobble begins and if some certain incident causes it to start, like a pothole.

Here is a pic:

jeep_lift.JPG

here is a dark pic of the front spring:

jeep_spring.JPG

There are no spacer blocks at the top of the springs, but the wheels do have spacers.

I'm guessing that these wheels aren't original either, as the offset looks wrong

Thanks

Also if you can describe at what speed the wobble begins and if some certain incident causes it to start, like a pothole.

Wobble begins at around 20mph just driving around the neighborhood. It is almost undriveable. It doesn't seem like it takes a bump or pot hole to start the wobble.

I also feel what seems like driveline vibrations, as if the pinion angle is off

Wow I just discovered the front stabilizer bar is completely missing :x

The tracking bar seems to be intact, although the bolt on the bushing end where it connects to the axle was about to fall out when I got it. I bet the bushing is wallowed out

Those are definitely after market lower control arms, they likely wouldn't be there unless it was lifted. The wheels look stock to me.

Those are definitely after market lower control arms, they likely wouldn't be there unless it was lifted. The wheels look stock to me.

Really? I would have thought aftermarket control arms would have included provisions for caster adjustment. Guess not. If it has been lifted without provisions for adjusting caster, it is probably out of spec.

I'm pretty sure the upper arms are stock.

Did wheel spacers come factory on some models? These wheels wouldn't fit without them, that is why I was guessing they were not factory wheels.

Would the lack of a stabilizer bar cause Death Wobble?

Thanks

The alignment should be low caster and high toe. You need a good steering stabilizer to the stock ones were lucky to last 20000.

My track bar bushing looks like it has seen better days:

track bar bushing.JPG

My stabilizer shock does not appear to be blown, but the bushings are in poor shape.

The upper control arm bushings seem soft and mushy too...

Those are definitely not stock wheels. If that is really a Rubi model, the wheels look completely different (and obviously those aren't the stock tires either.

Those are definitely not stock wheels. If that is really a Rubi model, the wheels look completely different (and obviously those aren't the stock tires either.

Thanks, that is what I figured.

It is a rubi according to the VIN, but some A-hole stripped all of the rubi goodies off of it.

Many lifts come with new longer lower control arms that aren't adjustable, but are the correct length for the lift they are sold with. My guess is that your Jeep is lifted. Do the shocks have any company's name on them?

That death wobble kit looks good, as long as you don't have any more than 3.5" of lift. I've got the JKS trackbar on my Jeep and like it.

Be sure to go around and check your bushings, then torque everything down properly (you can get torque specs here.

Last edited:

How tall are your springs when it's sitting in the driveway? I've got a 2.5" lift and my front coils are 14" tall with the vehicle weight on them.

Back