suspension lift

How tall are your springs when it's sitting in the driveway? I've got a 2.5" lift and my front coils are 14" tall with the vehicle weight on them.

Mine look to be about 15" tall, I'll see if I can get a better measurement tomorrow.

I think I need the adjustable track bar.

Thanks for the data point. I'm certain now that my jeep is lifted.

Pretty sure those are '07+ JK wheels with a different lug pattern, hence the need for the wheel spacers/adapters. Your lift looks to be around a 3.5" kit, definitely needs an adjustable front trackbar. The Teraflex is a very nice unit.

The longer lower control arms are generally designed for correct caster at a given spring height, usually the springs included in the kit. Throw an angle finder across the upper balljoint or have a shop check it just to be sure. Cam bolts are available for the axle end of the lower control arms for fine adjustment of caster.

Should I consider lowering the transfer case as well? I sense what feels like a driveline vibration

Thanks

I just remeasured with everything on the ground. Coil length is 16.5 inches, so it appears I've got around 5" lift

you jeep appears to have been lifted, then returned to a near stock height. it also appears your jeep was wheeled as evident of all the scratched on the LCA and the bottome of the axle tube. looks like it was lifted, the PO removed some stuff to get it back to close to stock and earn a little extra cash.

Why, bless your little heart,could you enlighten us on what LCA is supposed to stand for.

Those wheels look like they're from a 2007-or-newer Wrangler. The lower control arms could be from a Rough Country or RCD 4" lift (or some other brand). Many 3.5" or 4" kits come with new, longer, lower control arms while leaving the upper control arms in place.

Have you taken it to an alignment shop? After upgrading from a 2" to 4" lift, my death wobble was cured with an alignment. So, if you're replacing bushings, that may need to be your first stop afterward. Then, you can trouble shoot from there if you still have wobble.

Here's a pic of my '06 rubicon with the stock wheels, same as stock size tires, with a 4 inch lift installed (minus the rear track bar relocation bracket, hadn't gotten to that yet when the pic was taken). After installing the lift, I had a horrible death wobble anytime I would hit a bump at around 40mph. After mounting the 33s and having it aligned, death wobble went away. My lower control arms look like yours (except new). The lift didn't include upper control arms.

jeeplifted-1.jpg

To me (let me stress that, TO ME) it looks like your jeep is lifted and has stock rims, whether they are the stock rims for your particular jeep, I don't know, they sure as sh!t don't look like any aftermarket rims I've seen. The previous owner MAY have added the wheel spacers to get a wider stance to provide more stability in an attempt to cure the death wobble. Who knows.

EDIT: just read back a bit and see you have 18 inch rims, clearly not stock for your '04. As mentioned previously, could be the reason for the wheel spacers, to adjust for a different lug pattern.

6243d1289056812t-suspension-lift-jeep_lift.jpg

Are those JK rims? do you have wheel spacers behind them converting the bolt pattern. Dose not look like Moab rims which lead me to believe again that this jeep was wheeled and lifted by the PO and then they bought a newer JK and just started to swap stuff over.

Oh goodness,the moderators can dish out sarcasm and insults,but theyappear as not to be able to deal with it to well when they get a little dose of their own medicine,well. SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK

Those control arms could be from several different lift companies. I would give Energy Suspension a call and have them get you some bushings. They should be able to hook you up according to measurements of your bushings.

More than likely your death wobble is coming from the worn bushings and the excess play out of the track bar.

Wobble my bronco did that all from ujoints fixed them all good now my 97 jeep same thing front end did the same and that was the steering stabilizer

Front stabilizer could definitely be the culprit, pulled that part off my Commander for rock climbing and I had the same scary problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back