Sway bar snapped... can I still drive my Wrangler on the road?

Digitaljeep

Hi all,

My left hand front sway bar snapped for no particular reason and because of my location I wont be able to get hold of a new one for a while...

I rarly go above 20mph here so is it ok to take off the sway bar that is broken and drive on the roads? will it do any further damage?

If i do this should i take off both or leave one on the right that is ok?

Thank for your help

Cheers

I've driven back to camp without a front swaybar just fine, but It would make me nervous. The fear is that the body of the Jeep will really lean when you take turns.

You should just have santa bring you some new swaybar disconnects. They shouldn't be more than $60-$90.

I've driven back to camp without a front swaybar just fine, but It would make me nervous. The fear is that the body of the Jeep will really lean when you take turns.

You should just have santa bring you some new swaybar disconnects. They shouldn't be more than $60-$90.

Thanks for the advice, I will take it show then. Apart form the body roll i take it I can't do any further damage?

Could you reccomend a good site where i can buy some new front sway bars who will ship world wide?

Thanks again.

You'll be plenty fine without it for now. Just take it easy around the corners and understand that your vehicle is going to handle differently for now.

One of the first things I do when I get a new Jeep is take the sway bar out completely. You just have to drive like an adult ( Way not fun ).

I'm guessing this is a TJ? If your jeep has a coil spring front suspension, I wouldn't get much above 30mph without the swaybar connected.

You won't tear anything else up by running without it, short of rolling the jeep.

on my tj the sway bars been disconected now for about 3 years and i can still take turns at normall speed and its real fun but if you only have on side connected disconnect it. thats how mine started and taking turns one wheel will come off the ground but you wont flip unless your really tring to. driving on the high way is the same 65 - 70 mph is ok but high winds will push harder than normal

I am having a small problem removing the sway bar I wonder if any of you can help...

The sway bar snapped just below the ball joint at the top.

I have undone the bolt at the top of the sway bar, it looked like it would just drop out but even after giving it some strong bangs with the hammer and leaving it to soak in lube it wont budge.

Im starting to think I am missing something here and thought i should ask before i break something.

if you have a YJ, I have a sway bar you can have, just pay shipping.

Hey thanks that would be great.. but I have a TJ so i think it wouldnt fit right? shame because that would have been perfect I would have paid you for any trouble.

Thanks

Dean

Last edited:

is it the little ball joint bolt that wont come out? If so, i had the same problem with my tj. I had to get a pipe wrench and just yank the crud out of it. It should just come right off with a little pull but sometimes they get jammed.

That's called a Swaybar Link. remove the torx bolt and nut. Use a suitable pliers like a vise grip to hold the main base from spinning while loosening the nut on the bottom.

Just get some sway bar discos; then you can disconnect the sway bar for offroading and reconnect it when you are done playing.

If the tapered top bolt of the endlink is stuck in the swaybar, smack the side of the hole with a 3lb. sledge, usually pops the endlink right out.

Back