T-case 242J help

firestarter

Hello,

So I recently got a new t-case and feel like messing around with the old one. I can't get the damn thing open for the life of me. Here's basically what's been done:

• Unbolted the front
  • Unbolted the Slip-yoke which seems to be fused to the case
  • Removed the rear (transmission facing) snap ring around the input shaft
  • Beat the crap out of the output shaft collar (not sure what this is called but it's the press-fit collar around the output shaft). I've also used a puller and fully destroyed the collar but it won't come off.

With the collar still be on the shaft I can pry the t-case apart by about 1.5 inches but somethings still holding me up from fully opening it.

Ideas on how to get this thing apart? Have I missed a hidden bolt somewhere? It feels like the case is still being held together by something in the shifting mechanism.

Thanks in advance,

I think there is a snap ring around the opening of the tail shaft housing.

Yeah, that's basically the problem, I can't get to it. The tail shaft slip collar just won't come off, at all. I've used a puller and pretty much destroyed it then used a hammer but the thing just won't give. As I understand it, once the collar is off there are a few snap rings to pull then the front comes off.

Any ideas on how to get the collar off? I'm thinking of just taking a plasma cutter to it.....

I think there is a snap ring around the opening of the tail shaft housing.

Generally once the tailcone is unbolted it will come right off with some persuasion from a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer. It's only attached with silicone at this point.

What was wrong with this transfer case?

Nothing actually. I just got a new lift and decided to go with a 231 w/ SYE since I had quite a lot of driveline vibration at my previous lift (3"). In searching it looks like I could only get $120 or so out of this t-case so instead I'm gonna tear it apart, learn a few things, and build some art out of it which will easily go for $700+ here in San Francisco. It's amazing how much people will spend on "art" (note the quotes :))

Generally once the tailcone is unbolted it will come right off with some persuasion from a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer. It's only attached with silicone at this point.

What was wrong with this transfer case?

Managed to get the slip collar off and from reading online most articles say that there should be a few snap rings behind it, however, I'm faced with some other sort of press-fit looking POS :) In the attached pic it's right behind the bent up collar.

Does anyone know how to get this off? Seems as though its fused to the case.

Or maybe a better question is. What would be the next thing you would do?

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

So I recently got a new t-case and feel like messing around with the old one. I can't get the damn thing open for the life of me. Here's basically what's been done:

• Unbolted the front
  • Unbolted the Slip-yoke which seems to be fused to the case
  • Removed the rear (transmission facing) snap ring around the input shaft
  • Beat the crap out of the output shaft collar (not sure what this is called but it's the press-fit collar around the output shaft). I've also used a puller and fully destroyed the collar but it won't come off.

With the collar still be on the shaft I can pry the t-case apart by about 1.5 inches but somethings still holding me up from fully opening it.

Ideas on how to get this thing apart? Have I missed a hidden bolt somewhere? It feels like the case is still being held together by something in the shifting mechanism.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 301
Next is the output seal, pry it off by tapping a flat-head screwdriver between the outer edge of the seal and the aluminum housing. Behind that will be a lock ring, you'll need special lock-ring pliers for those, they have knurled tips that look like a duck's bill.

Thanks everyone. Got this POS apart :) All the articles weren't joking when they said "Buy a good set of snap ring pliers"

Back