Temp sender and fuel guage...

grrnmo

This weekend my fuel guage worked...for a day...and my temp guage was going WAY up...as the temp went up, oil pressure dropped below 20...

I replaced the thermostat - it was SO blown...and then the temp guage stopped working...now I can't tell if the temp is up - I can't tell if I have the right wire hooked to the sender, and the pressure drops below 20 again after about 15 minutes...it is also dieseling when it gets warmed up...

My questions:
1) Can anyone snap a pic of what the temp sender SHOULD look like hooked up? The L-shaped wire nut with which color wire? And what about the red wire near it running from under the exhaust manifold...seems to be going into the engine - but is not connected to anything?

2) Is the dieseling a product of excessive temp like the Haynes manual states?

3) A suggestion of a repair manual that doesn't SUCK!?

1982 CJ7 w/258-6 & 5speed [addsig]

Anyone with an 79-83 CJ? I know I'm not asking advice for putting on a 40 inch lift with D-9 bulldozer tires and an engine swap with Jeff Gordon's 650 HP Busch Series motor, but I figured someone might know what I should look for?[addsig]

your temp guage wire is located on the passenger rear side of the engine I do believe, the red wire I dont know but may be the fuel guage as for the dieseling yes it may be due to heat but aslo may be due to many other things as bad plugs or wires cap or rotor etc new thermo stat =probably not overheat probably due to unburnt fuel[addsig]

Sounds like your having fun.

Dieseling occurs when the internal temperature in the cylendar is sufficient to ignite the fuel mixture without an electrical igintion. This can stem from either overheating or hot spots in the cyl. Hot spots are commonly caused from excessive carbon build-up either on the piston or the head. This carbon bulid-up flakes off in time and when pieces blow away, they leave rough edges that stick out into the combustion area. It's these edges that heat up - sometimes red hot - and ignite the fuel mix.

So, yes - dieseling can be caused by overheating. If your machine didn't diesel before overheating, then it's probably carbon build-up. I've heard of several ways of eliminating this carbon with additives, but the only real way is to pull the head and clean it correctly.[addsig]

Wow...thanks - good info...I was starting to think I smelled funny down here low on my 30s - hehe...

Seriously...the Jeep diesels only after it warms up...I have already replaced the plugs and have a set of new wires ready to go on - I have fiddled with the idle mixture also...

I guess I got the temp sender location right - may need a new one =(

Lastly, at least for this post...the sub 25 PSI after the engine warms up - is this worrysome...it is well over 50 when it first fires up...after 15 minutes or so it idles around and below 25...I have a new gauge ready to install (I have replaced virtually every component on the jeep except the motor/transmission/transfer case...hehe), but this seems accurate (just not well-chromed) :-D

edited by: grrnmo, Mar 13, 2003 - 03:09 AM[addsig]

Back