the jeep wave

finnd

just purchased a 2002 TJ Sahara for he wife and it seems that other people in the CJ/YJ/TJ's wave to us now but XJ and ZJ and Liberty (?J) drivers don't. Are we supposed to wave to those jeepers also, or only the short wheelbase ones?

Thanks,

[addsig]

For the longest time, I didn't wave at anything but the CJ series, And I would always get waves from other CJ's.(alway's! This was shortly after the new body style came out ( the YJ's) To us (CJ owners) at the time, these wern't real jeeps. I've since long grown out of that thinking. I toss waves at all the jeep bodies now, but sadly, the word hasn't got out to everyone about the wave, as I seldom get waves back (unless it's a CJ!) Typically, the wave was just for short wheel base rigs, and for the most part still is for the short wheel base's

The"Wave" is a nice thing,shows comradery(spelling?) amongst a group of people that share a varity of common interest, (outdoor's, wheeling, freedom to drive where most people won't)

So, I say toss a wave at them. If they don't reply, perhaps they just don't get it yet it! Hopefully, perhaps they'll start to notice stranges in other jeeps waving at them and wonder why? And maybe start waving back.

[addsig]

Why not wave?? It's a Jeep thing. We're just one big happy, muddy family.
image-missing.png
As for myself, I wave to CJ/YJ/TJ. I have found (at least where I am) that most of the Cherokee and Liberty owners are people trying to fit in with the SUV craze, and really don't give a hoot what it is as long as they got one. Now, I have waved to lifted and modified Cherokees and even one lifted Liberty in town.[addsig]

I've noticed that the only people that ever seem to return the wave are people with either older Jeeps, or modified Jeeps. It seems like very few newer, stock Jeeps ever return the wave. Also, I've noticed that not many girls seem to wave back (I get the feeling they think I'm doing a poor job of flirting).

Terry

[addsig]

I wave to all CJ/YJ/TJ's and 9 times outta 10, they wave back. My wife thought I was bs-ing when I told her it was a "Jeep thang", but now she see's what ALL Jeep owners know what people in cars, trucks and SUV's (that are so expensive, you wouldn't take 'em on a dirt road, much less a trail)don't...Life Is Good In A Jeep! So wave to anyone you want. Here in Texas, most people wave to each other know matter what anyone drives.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'm a recent jeep (85 CJ7) owner. I always wave at the CJ/YJ/TJ's . I usually get a wave back. But you are right, the other jeeps (SUV's) don't wave back.

But to all you jeepers out there remember "KEEP ON WAVIN"

later......

Steve[addsig]

i think the wave is just for us cj,yj,&tj owners i thought it was so cool when i first got my jeep all the other people waving at me right after that my friend told me that its a jeep thing .................................anything besides a cj,yj or tj is not really a jeep i think sorry [addsig]

Yes I wave at all CJ/Wranglers.

I finally gave up on Cherokee/Grand Cherokee & Liberty's.

I guess there just isn't time to get thier capacino into a cup holder and make it to the electric window switch in time to get the glass down and a hand out before we're gone.

[addsig]

I try to wave to all jeeps but only get replies from cj's/wranglers. I think the Liberty/Cherokee crowd isn't into the "jeep family" thing. I feels great to get waves so keep giving 'em.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I just bought my Tj a couple weeks ago, and even the first day i test drove it i started getting waves from any cj/Wrangler. Then i caught on, it must be a jeep thing... After realizing that, i started waving at mostly cjs and wranglers and to a few modified cherokess b/c i had one myself.... but after driving a stock wrangler through more shit than i did my cherokee ive decided that cherokees arent really part of the family..... they are more like the red-headed step child that you like to hit
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Here's a related question. Please pardon me for possible heresy, but what's the board's feeling about waving to modified 4x4's other than Jeeps--especially FJ-40's? I find a lot more comradarie with a modified FJ-40 than I do with a sorority chick driving a stock Wrangler or a soccer mom in a GC. In other words, I think that "the wave" is really more of an acknowledgement of interest in a sport/activity/pasttime than it is a demonstration of brand loyalty (heck, the vehicles which are included in "the Jeep wave" have been manufactured by 4-6 or so corporations as it is). What do you all think?[addsig]

I can tell you, in my built suburban I have been waving to the wrangler crowd since I do it in the TJ, and forget myself.
image-missing.png
More often then not, they just stare at me. And there is no way you will mistake my truck for a mommy wagon. [addsig]

The only Jeeps that I won't waive to are the ones with the Hummer body kits on them...what are those people thinking?????
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The only non-Jeep vehicles I wave at are my wheelin' buddies FJ-40 and Dodge Raider. I think you should wave at whoever you feel a friendship or connection to. There are no rules to who you can or can't wave to, but I'll keep waving at the girls who just wanted a convertible.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I can see why more TJers don't give the wave. People who buy the Jeep just as a daily driver are more likely to by a new TJ than go loookin for an old CJ. That being said, when I get bored I go out for a drive specifically looking for Jeep waves and don't come home until I get one.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I tried waving to YJ and TJs for a while, but got tired of just getting funny looks. Pretty much now I only bother if its a CJ or older, or if its a new jeep thats lifted with mods. Despite this, I always give a return when someone waves to me first, regardless what they are driving (with the exception of a liberty).[addsig]

I just bought a 87 yj and since then I get waves all the time.Mostly from wranglers and cj's.I love my yj.I don't know what am going to do to it frist.It has 122,000 miles on it.Its in very good shape for the year and milage.This site has alot of great info.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've known about the "jeep wave" for awhile now..(from friends)

however, i've only been driving a jeep for a little over a week now and I can say it doesn't really exist in my city.

I may see 10 yj/tj's in ten minutes though...so it's understandable not all these people are die hard jeep people

personally, i save my all-out "jeep acknowledgment" for the trails, campgrounds, and such....

[addsig]

When I bought my YJ in '90, CJ's said that it was not a real jeep(something about square headlights) So nobody would wave. I drove it for 6 years and just kept waving at every CJ and YJ slowly the crowd came around and started to wave back. In '00 when I bought my TJ I found that nobody was waving in the area anymore. After 2 years at waving at every CJ and Wrangler they all just about wave. It only takes one person in the are to raise the question - whats this all about? - and next thing you know everyone gets it and participates. It's a great feeling knowing there are other weirdo's out there like me. It does fit under that "It's a Jeep thing" Keep waving.....
image-missing.png
[addsig]

It's a funny and a onderful thing all at the same time. I have an 88 yj and ave to all cj/yj/tj's and I am finding that it is those that drive tj's that really don't get the spirit of it all. And to comment on statement that most omen do not ave back, it is not that you are a man, because I am a girl and most do not return the ave. and that is ok hen someone doesn't, I simply kno that they( male or female ) are not ith the spirt.

(pardon the lack of "'s" my key pad is not orking properly. )Take care all and continue to do hat feels right.
image-missing.png

Eb[addsig]

Back