Thornbirds?

bobcat481

Ok.....Tire dude just called me......My Groundhawgs are a bust. Interco/Denman is bust. He can get 1 remaining set of Thornbirds. Anyone have any luck/bad luck with them? How well do they wear? Are they noisy? (ha, I don't care) Thoughts? Anyone? LAter, Brad

I can't say I've ever seen the tread design, but there seems to be a LOT of hate in their direction all over the internet. Anytime the name comes up, people start ripping on them.

What, Interco is out of business?
Thornbirds are decent in sand and rock, lousy everywhere else, and downright dangerous on the highway in the rain. Difficult if not impossible to balance and large chunks of rubber will fly off with extended road use. Their best use is when they are soaked with Armor All and mounted on show trucks.
BTW, I am the Tires And Wheels forum moderator on another truck board.

Thornbirds suck in every situation I've seen them in, the large long treadblocks in the middle behave like large slicks on every terrain. They're a poser tire destined for show trucks.

I did take a tire groover to a set once and it seemed to help when the large tread blocks are broken up.

OK...That seems to be the answer I was expecting. Yes, Interco is in financial trouble, and Denman, their manufacture is either 1 of 2 things: on strike or bankrupt...I've heard both. So, from what I've been told by a few, they are either gone for good, or at least gone for a good while until financing (sp?) get better. Either way it sucks. All that said, does anybody recommend a good mud tire (35x14.5x15) that last well, looks good, and rides decent. It's going on my '55 Willys pickup. Looks and wear will probably be more important. That's why I was leaning towards the Thornbirds. It will honestly see more time in trips to town/in the country than off-road where my YJ goes. Too classy to tear up. Any thoughts?? Anymore thoughts on the Thornbirds?? Later, Brad

regarding interco, this is the information I have

After seeing all the rumors and speculation I decided someone should email Interco and find out what is happening, so I have. Here is the reply I received today:

Here is the story. A factory in Ohio by the name of Denman Tire Corporation has shut down and Denman was a major supplier of some of our tires. Denman also manufactured other tires of various brands that will also be affected. We anticipated something like this could happen someday so we diversify our production. It takes time to move equipment out of one factory to another but we have already started the process. We will experience shortages of some sizes and types but this will be temporary.

This factory has been caught up in the difficult economic situation the country is experiencing but everything at Interco is OK.

I sincerely appreciate your inquiry and welcome any future inquiries so we can keep the record straight. Since this news broke we have been humbled by the hundreds of phone calls and emails we have received from very concerned off-roaders and dealers.

Best wishes,

KATIE LECKELT
INTERCO TIRE CORPORATION
2412 ABBEVILLE HWY
RAYNE, LA 70578
WWW.INTERCOTIRE.COM

that plant also made BFG's and toyo's

OH and thornbirds are horrible for offroading, make decent drag slicks though.

as far as I know none of the interco "swamper brand" tires are imported. Their ATV tires are I believe.

I hear you on Pitbull tires. I have been contemplating the 40" LTB's as a budget minded tire for when I finish the build, but for just a couple bucks more per tire, I can get into a set of 42" rockers and they have a stickier compound (fellow club member actually checked with a durometer) and they hook up real well, not red label hook up, but better than a non-stickie TSL tire.

Ok....call me as ass after all the advice. I bought the Thornbirds. There mounted, balanced, I'm a Douche. I went with them because they are going on a "Sunday Truck". The old Willy's has too many years on it, and too much money in it, to go out and tear up. That's what the YJ's for. BUT, it did need some bad-a** looking tires. The groundhawgs were so bad, I didn't even attempt to air them up. It's going to see miles running to town on the weekends, and country drives. Yes, it is gonna get dirty and muddy, but not to the extreme of needing "good tires". I hate to say it, but the looks, and the fact that the were there sitting right on the dealers floor this evening sold me. Call it a impulse buy I guess. I don't think I'll ever put enough miles on them to kill 'em. By the way, seeing that it can sit on 4 feet now, it's coming home tomarrow. It's been 10 years since I left it, and it's time to finish it up, (plus dad's STILL complaining, wanting the other half of his barn back, Geez it's only been there 10 yrs. get off my a**). I'll post some pics. when it's home in the drive.

Back