Thoughts on a 48 willys

Joseph.smith54

A guy at work informed me that he has a 48-50 model willys that he would gladly sell to me for a few hundred bucks. Has motor, trans, and most of the body. might even have the data plate. Frame is cracked in the front. Thoughts? (I attempted to add a picture, lets see if it worked)

image-3310237557.jpg

Does he have the title? Looks like a big project by what I can see in the picture. It looks like the front of the frame is gone....not a huge problem IF the rest of the frame is not too rusted to weld to. I doubt that you can run the engine in the state that the Jeep is in so theres another question mark. If your up for a major rebuild & have time & room for it make an offer....it's just a lawn ornament now & he may need a few bucks....There's no such thing as an "easy project" but it could be a lot of fun.

wow, as cool as it could be, that is way more work than i would do

I found frame parts from kaiserwillys.com, I've never used them before. He says he may have some of the paperwork with it but it wouldn't be hard to title it if he has the data plate. He said the motor ran fine just before he parked because of the frame. Even if its $300, I believe I could probably part it out and get my money back if it came down to it.

That front frame section would be easy to make if you can weld. I replaced about that much of the rear on my CJ5. It would be easier if you bought the replacement section though. Where you tie it in you need to weld a diamond shaped patch over top of it on the sides. It'll take the up and down stress off your welds and really make it stronger than it was to begin with. Those flatheads are like tractor engines, they seem to tolerate sitting for long periods better than overhead valve engines.

I think I'll try it. If I do, I'll post pictures along the way. I emailed kaiserwillys.com about the frame. Told me they sell the front 49" for the MB and that hold work. Anyone know any other good sites for 40's jeep parts?

Back