Throtle position sensor trouble

ZBTstang

Well my Tj came up with the error code 24. Can someone explain to me what the TPS is, how it can be fixed, expensive or what? My jeep has seemed to be idleing a little strange, almost to the point where it feels like it wants to stall. Please help[addsig]

The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located on the throttle body. It tells the computer what position the throttle plate is in. It should have three wires going to it. If you know how to read an analog meter it can be checked. You connect one lead to one prong and the other lead to another, the meter should have a reading now. You can probably rotate the sensor by using a flat screwdriver. The needle on the meter should move nice and evenly. If the needle jumps any at all the sensor is bad. You can remove it by locating the throttle plate and follow the shaft to the side that has the sensor, remove two screws and installation is reversed. The cost should be under $30 bucks. I will say that I've never worked on jeeps, but the TPS has been the same for all cars and trucks that I've seen. Good luck.[addsig]

good luck getting that thing off too. I had to replace the one on my '91 and between the screws being supertight and having Torx heads, I stripped out both heads and had to resort to the old dremel tool to cut the damn thing off. [addsig]

Those Torx screws are a bear. They are loc-tited(?) when first installed. If you can't turn them with the first try, you'll have to heat them. Use a Heat gun or soldering iron. [addsig]

try to clean it first. I've had to do that once already on my 97 TJ. I forget what fluid I used, but it's

just an aerosol cleaner.

Cooper.[addsig]

Back