Tire Question

thomasw

Hello everyone, quick question:

Will a 265/75SR15 fit my stock suspension 1997 Cherokee Country 4x4

right now, i dont want any lift or want to do any modifications...will these tires (Goodyear Fortera HL Edition's) clear my fender wells and not scrub when turning...im kinda clueless in this area :lol: Thanks guys

im guess no.... what are those some wher around 31.5" inch tires... u are lookin at a 3~4 lift to clear those im thinkin..... XJ ppl will give a better answer

New Bern NC hey that is not to far away. I am in the Johnson City are in TN. I am pretty sure you will be good to go. Ask any good tire sales person and see what they tell you to do. I am pretty sure you can run up to a 30" tire. Tug

Like far right said the xj folks will be of a better source. I just saw an XJ today running 30" radial baja claws.

I just tried to buy 30's for my jeep and they (the tire people) told me that it would be too big for a non-lifted jeep. I've got 28's under mine right now and they rub a little under full articulation and when i turn the wheel to lock on the left side.

Super swamper LTBs

Cherokee's have small wheel wells and the backspacing tends tp keep them tight under the well. To fit a atleast a 31" tire a 2" lift is atleast required. Daystar sells the 2" coil spacer and 1 3/4" rear shackle for about $85 Because cherokee's have such high backspacing the wheel will sometimes tend to scrub the lower control arm under sharp turns

You'll need a 4.5" lift to fit those tires. You have to lift XJ's a lot more to fit the same tire you could fit on a SWB Jeep with less lift.

I am not that good with metric sizes, but isn't the tires diameter defined by the "75" as the side wall dimention? and 265 would be the tread width??

I really don't know cause I always replaced my metric tires with either the same size or just got 33's?

yj start up problems

My metric tire calculator says that it is a 30.65" tire. But that can vary from tire manufactureer to tire manufacturer. But it should be in that range.

the metric tire calculation goes like this.

265 for the tread widtch
75 for the profile
15 for the wheel size

multiply the tread width by the profile percentage, in this case 75% or .75

265 x .75 = 198.75 This is the size of the tire side wall in mm.

devide that by 25.4 for inches

198.75/25.4=7.824

multiply by 2, 7.8 inches for the bottom part of the tire and 7.8 inches for the top part add that to 15 and that gives you teh over all diameter.

in this case 30.65"

How much the suspension has sagged has a lot to do with it too as well as the actual suspension spec package...go to the tire store and have one trial fitted...that size wouldn't have fit my XJ when i got it due to severe suspension sag...so bad my first lift package (3") lifted it nearly 5 inches above what it was before...

Back