TJ Questions, Lift, Brakes, etc........

montana_jeepn

I have an 03 TJ, 4.0, 5spd, 3.73's. I want to run 33's and am looking at the 3" BDS kit, the 3" Black Diamond kit, and the 4" Skyjacker basic lift. The TJ is my daily driver and I will be honest in saying that it will probably only see mild-mid trails every other weekend or so. It's important that I keep good manners on the highway. I plan on running Dunlop RV 33 x 12.5's. (I have 31's now). I have both tops and if I make it offroad this summer enough and can justify it (to myself anyways;) ), I may look into putting a winch up front.

Which lift do you folks suggest?

Concerning brakes. Bigger tires = longer stop times. What are the best brake upgrades, do they work, and are they worth the $$$? Has anyone who has lifted their Jeep also upgraded their brakes? I have 4 whl disc brakes without ABS currently.

Thanks in advance!

M_J

I hear BDS sells some very high quality kits for a great price. If you already have 4wheel disks then you are already doing better than most of us with front disks and rear drums.(stock front disks and rear drums are fine to run 33's)Your stock brakes should do the trick.

With a coiul type of lift and wishing to keep good highway manners I would suggest looking into a "long-arm" type of lift.
They make your jeep ride better than factory while having 3"+ of lift.
Keep in mind as you go up you will need to do an SYE ( slip yoke eliminator) kit for a longer driveshaft as well. you can get away with a 4 inch lift without it but you run the risk of pulling it out at extream flexing.
As to adding a winch you might look into adding longer coils in the rear and having arcos spring adjusters in the front to help with the added weigh of an winch over time.
As to brake up-grades as Sully had said your doing better than most of us with 4 wheel disk brakes. I am running 35" tires on disc/drum set-up and have no problems stopping.

Havent seen the BDS kit, but between the black diamond and the skyjacker I would choose the skyjacker because it comes with the lower control arms

PASmokeater Runs the BDS 3.5 kit and has plent room for flex with his 33's. You should be set for Off-roading with 3.5" and 33x12.50. have seen it work. Shoot if you are doing "Mild" trails only 2" is required but you will scrub when you flex if your Sway-bars are disconnected.

The BDS is a litle more expensive, but well worth EVERY penny..the ride on road is actually better than stock, and I can't say enough about the people at BDS...they stand behind thier warenty, and there are NO questions asked. Look into them, and you'll see that there is no comparison.

(I only have a BDS lift installed, and am NOT a paid employee of BDS LOL)

Back