TJ steering twitchy

Raven1941

I have an 06 TJ with short arm 6" lift. Running 35's. Steering is so twitchie that speeds over 40 mph are a real challenge. Toe is 0. Do not know pinion angle but siff looks like it is parallel to the ground. Any thoughts about taming tis steering issue appreciated.

When you turn the Jeep, does the steering wheel return to center? You could have a caster problem.

Did you get a computer alignment?

That is a ton of lift for a short-arm setup. Good chance your control arm lengths could use adjusting to correct caster. You need a little toe-in as well.

That much lift on short-arms is not a good thing. The control arms become to near vertical when at rest, transferring all bumps straight to the frame instead of absorbing them in the spring. Also leads to 'tire jacking' both on-road and off.

Not trying to jack the thread, but I have to ask bounty hunter, what is "tire jacking"? I havnt heard of that before.

I have 35's on my 04 Tj and with 3" lift in the back and 4" in the front and had the same thing happen . Way to much lift for short arm. I ended up going with a pro come 2" all the way around with a 1" spacer added to the front to make it sit level, a drop pitman arm and a 3" body lift. It drives like the stock Tj setup did and has a nice stance.

Attachments

• image-3464390864.jpg
    image-3464390864.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:

Don't use a drop pitment arm unless you have a frame side drop for the track bar. You need stock pitment arm and an adjustable track bar. This will keep the track bar and drag link parallel and minimize wander, and bump steer.

Again 6 in is too much lift on short arms.

I have a pro comp adjustable track bar too. Luckily my wife works at 4wd hardware and I get great prices on everything.. Lol

Not trying to jack the thread, but I have to ask bounty hunter, what is "tire jacking"? I havnt heard of that before.
It's when the suspension fails to compress due to steep control arms and forces the opposite corner tire to lift off the ground. Here's an example of it on-road, and it can have downright scary consequences offroad.

I had know idea it was called that, I have seen a video of that before. Thanks, now I know.

Back