TJ "tire" questions...........

tiger9297

I have an '02 Wrangler Sahara w/ 6 cylinder, auto, and 3.07 gears. Right now is has stock 30" tires on it. I got a 2" spacer lift for Christmas and was planning on going with 31x10.5's. However, I have a 1990 K5 Blazer that I'm about to sell, and the Blazer has practically new 33x12.5's on it.

1) I was wondering if I could put the 33's on the Jeep without regearing?? I work out of this Jeep so I can't get into alot of extra work and expense. I just want to put the lift and tires on, and go.

2) Will the 2" spacerlift give me enough HEIGHT for 33's?

3) Will there be enough WIDTH for 33's? My Jeep has the Canyon rims. I could get some spacers if there is a width problem.

4) As I said, I work out of this Jeep and it gets alot of highway miles. I know larger tires will slow me a little, but I don't want it to be a total "dog" on the interstate.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Can't say as the height is enough, but 33/9.50/15s fit a lot of places a 31/10.50 won't! As for regear, I ran my '87 MJ with 33s and 3.07 for awhile. To use 5th gear I'd have to put it in low range unless the road was totally flat or downhill!

my 97 with a 4.0/stick and 235/75/15s and those same 3.07s is a dog; it was worse when I had the 31s on there. My 5th gear is useless with either size. it didn't do bad with the OE 215/75/15s gearing wise, but those tires sucked; I will never own another Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tire.

My dealer mechanic friend bought his son a 2000 TJ with a 4.0 auto, and 3.07s; the kid rarely gets out of the town they live in, therefore that OD almost never gets used in his transmission. they do take it to Attica IN., though; and he "wheels" it in a few local spots, mostly in-progress, new subdivisions by his house. (huge mounds of dirt dug out for foundations)
He took it to his work on a Saturday, and swapped 3.73s into it for the kid. Runs a WHOLE lot better, both on the trail and in town. I have a new set of 3.73s for the rear end of mine but still have to get the carrier to mount it to and the matching stuff for the front diff before I can do my swap.

My buddy (same dealer tech as above) just had an 18yo run a stop sign, totalling his Cherokee a month ago. Hit him in the RF wheel. Ripped the mounts off the front diff housing and busted the yoke.
My Cherokee also was just totalled. my son spun out and rolled ours into a ditch, and it filled up with water before we could get it winched out.
so the plan is that since he has already bought his back from the insurance. I plan on doing the same, if the adjuster ever shows up. He gets my front diff from my XJ, I get his front diff for parts; there's my front carrier for the TJ! so all I am lacking is the front ring and pinion set. (my buddy has a rear carrier out of a 3.55 axle, that he's already offered me) I passed on it then so that I could get at least a limited slip rather than another "open"; I guess I could get something like a Powertrax for now.....

Thanks for all the info guys. I knew the 33's were pushing it with the Jeep in stock configuration, but just thought I'd check since I have the 33's. Guess I'll just sell the K5 and press on with my plan of adding 31's to the Jeep. Thanks again for the input.

got 3;55 in a xj and its a dog glad only use on trail hwy Id prob die with all those big rigs flying past

I ran 35's with a 2 inch body lift and stock 3.07 gears, upgraded to 5 inchs of lift still running 3.07 but 5th is useless but will keep at 75mph on the highway no problem

my 5th is useless with 235s; youre gettin close to 4th being useless with that combo. Bet you get farther than just thru the intersection out of 1st though.

My 4th does great run at 1900rpm at 60, and 1st still doesn't get very far maybe 15mph. I have a 8.8 with 4.10 in it with a 4.10 for my front ready to go in but it sucks when your jeeps your daily driver.

You will have enough space to run the 33"s on the street, but not much room to flex. However, you will definetly want to re-gear.

Back