Torx Bolts

Crusader

Oh, one other question I forgot to ask--the large Torx bolts that are so abundant on my Jeep (holding the seat belt brackets in, for instance)--what size are they, T50 or T55?

Just get yourself a whole set, there are several different sizes so you will end up needing them all anyway.

I did a little internet search for X2 bits (or torx sets) and found none. Any suggestions on where I can get a set that would include X2 and the like?

Sears... Craftsman.

Having an impact set is nice, as the smaller bolts are cheap metal and strip easily. Good firm pressure and a good straight hold on the socket will help avoid this, but I have found that breaking them loose with an impact gun works wonders.

TwistedCopper said:
Sears... Craftsman.

Having an impact set is nice, as the smaller bolts are cheap metal and strip easily. Good firm pressure and a good straight hold on the socket will help avoid this, but I have found that breaking them loose with an impact gun works wonders.

Around here, the only place that carries a T55 Torx bit is Sears....

BUT they don't carry it in Craftsman. The biggest Craftsman torx bit they have in stock is T50. If you need a T55 in a pinch, they do have a generic T55 bit in stock, but you may have to do a little looking around the store to find it (it's not with the other torx bits, in my experience).

Jason4x4 said:
Around here, the only place that carries a T55 Torx bit is Sears....

BUT they don't carry it in Craftsman. The biggest Craftsman torx bit they have in stock is T50. If you need a T55 in a pinch, they do have a generic T55 bit in stock, but you may have to do a little looking around the store to find it (it's not with the other torx bits, in my experience).
I have a whole set that's craftsman. Maybe it's older but either way I bet the one they have has got a lifetime guarantee.

Whatever you do, don't buy the set from Quadratec that comes with the red rubber bit holder. I got it last year, and have corkscrewed most of the smaller ones already. They are El Cheapo D-Lux!!

TwistedCopper said:
I have a whole set that's craftsman. Maybe it's older but either way I bet the one they have has got a lifetime guarantee.

They make a T55 Craftsman bit, but the problem is they don't keep it in stock, so you'd have to order it and wait a few days to get it. As for complete sets, I'm not 100% sure but I didn't see any with a T55 bit.

got my set at home depot (husky) went up to the t-50, and they're really good at replacing broken ones and my seatbelts came out with a t-50 but i need a t-55 for the bumper in front...

I did a little internet search for X2 bits (or torx sets) and found none. Any suggestions on where I can get a set that would include X2 and the like?

X2 is just an abbreviation for "times two". He meant that he agreed with the previous poster about buying a whole set and not just the one.

Oh, X2, I get it--duh! Silly me--thanks for clearing that up!

Guess I will probably go to Sears and get one of their sets.

Oh, X2, I get it--duh! Silly me--thanks for clearing that up!

Guess I will probably go to Sears and get one of their sets.

Hey, just for the fun of it, when you get to Sears, ask the guy if they carry "X2 Sockets".:lol: That will be a good judge of the type of person you're dealing with, depending on their answer.:p If it's some pimple-faced punk (like I usually have to deal with there), keep insisting that it's an actual size, and after a few minutes ask to speak to his supervisor. When he turns around to get his supervisor, slip away into the tools and pick up your Torx set, bring it back to the same counter (after the supervisor gets there) and say, "See, kid, I told you there was such a thing as Torx sockets!" Then go off on a rant to the supervisor about his inept dweeb sales associate not knowing what a Torx socket is. When the kid says something about the "X2 Socket", look at him like he's totally stupid and ask where he came up with that name for it!:lol: Then shake your head and walk out in disgust.:p

(Sparky can be a real bastid when he wants to be:twisted: )

I bought a set from lisle corporation. It is a 12 piece set that has fit every torx bolt on my 2003 TJ. It includes T-10 through T-50 and also has a T-47 & T-55. Some tools, maybe all of them ,carry a lifetime guarantee.

I stand corrected. In the garage today I looked at the 2 sets I have. The Craftsman stops at T50, and an Ampro set I probably bought at Autozone has the T55.

Sorry Jason you were right!

I picked up a heavy duty T40 from snap-on the other day. I broke 3 tamper proof versions in a week (life time warranty but still junk) They would twist or break and didn't have the quality to break the screws loose. The snap-on socket on a impact hammer with about 6 hard wacks, then switch the socket onto a breaking bar seemed to do the trick most of the time. I still have 5 screws to drill out even after all this!!

yeah the ones in the red rubber holder are ****, i tore those up with a ratchet trying to take out my seat belts, the bolts won over the crappy t-50 bit from that set...craftsman, black & decker, anything that is made in the U.S.A, not USA, Usa is a place in china, aka cheap stuff, watch for the 3 dots...U.S.A = quality, price also means quality too, obviously

Last edited:
Back