Transfer case chain

dudster

My chain had been rattling for a while now. Now it has stopped and I think the chain has broke because I put it in 4 wheel drive the other day and it didn't do anything. My question is, what are the chances of me being able to replace the chain? Could gears possible be screwed up because of the chain? Thank you.
[addsig]

its unlikely you did damage if the chain simply broke.. it will roll off the gears and sit in the bottom of the tcase.... i would change it soon though and avoid major bumps.. dont want to throw the broken chain into the main shaft which could cause damage if it jams in somewhere.... [addsig]

yup.. you have to crack the tcase open to change it.... at least one seal to replace... and about 2 quarts of ATF or whateer your tcase takes

while you are in there,and depending on what has to come apart, you might consider replacing the shaft seals too.... just as a preventative thing.... I've never had one apart myself but know there is usually a seal that goes around the middle of the case.. you will probably have to pull one or more shafts out of one end.. perfect time to do those seals.....
[addsig]

OH, thoroughly inspect all gears for chipped teeth, and check for bearing wear too.. again.. while you have it apart, perfect time to service that stuff
[addsig]

Anytime you go into a large piece full of moving parts like a transfer case replace ever seal gasket bushing bearing ect... that you can cause the last thing anyone wants to do after such a task is to get it back up and running only to find a leak or rattle that could ahve been fixed so ez while in there. That is about 2 cents worth. tug[addsig]

Back