Tricks for installing axle?????

avyoung

I am in the process of putting a new (used but has detroit, and supperior) axle on but I can not get the axle to go on to the post on the springs. They are lined up but will now pop on. Any suggestion????

Yes. I bolted the spings up. I have the U bolts on and have tightened them hoping the axle would pop on. It just isn't popping on.

Re: Todays pics...

Loosen the ubolts a lot, or remove them. Jack up the spring slightly to meet the spring pad on the axle, then make sure the hole lines up to the center pin. It should fall into place.

It's possible the holes in the new (used) axle are smaller than your center pins and needs drilled out slighltly.

try reaming out the hole in the spring perch...sometimes it is too small to fit over the spring pack center bolt. i am assuming this is a direct bolt in axle from a similar jeep.

Gearing opinions

The axle is from the same year and also a CJ5. I will see if I can get a drill in there. I had to get out the hammer and screwdriver to get the old ones off. they were tight too. I Just was not sure if it was supposed to be tight or not. I will get the drill out and try again.

Thanks

Back