Using stock tire carrier with 33"

jpaj88

Can the stock tire carrier hold a 33" BFgoodrich M/T mounted on 15 x 8 AR 767? If not, is there any modification that can be done to hold it on there?
I searched the site but nothing came up.

-Joe

4.3 vortec v6

i've wondered the same thing i got 33x12.50 on 15x10 wheels and i was wanting to know also i dont want to buy another tire and wheel and then have to fork out money for an expensive tire carrier.

You can get a rather cheap kit made by Truck Master for around $100. It will hold up to a 33" tire. I use it for my 32" tire and I know a friend who is running a 33" tire on it. He has been using it for a long time now, and has not had any problems with the body nor have I.

The kit comes with everything needed. Extended bump stops, tire relocation braket, and 3rd brake light extensions.

I know you can get the kit through Quadratech. I've seen it in there. I bought my kit from a local car shop for $99. I'm very pleased with it!

-Rob

I cant seem to find it on their web site. $100 isnt bad, I didnt want to spend any more than that after buying a lift and 5 33" tires and wheels.

Let me do a fast search for ya!

http://www.truckmasterdesigns.com/wrangler.html

If you go towards the bottom of that page, you'll find the company info about the carrier. I believe they have this carrier for any year Wrangler, but I could be wrong...

I can't find it on the Quadratec website, but it is in the catalog.

You can either call Quadratec and ask. Or perhaps even Truck Master at (574) 862-4831.

Hope I helped somewhat!

-Rob

i got a 33 12.50 on a 15x10 rim on my stock carrier now and i had them on a 15x8 rim before i got my new wheels and they both fit on my carrier

You can redrill the tire carrier and move the lugs up, or bolt on a spare front hub and bolt the tire to the hub. The hub makes a great spare relocator by moving a big tire up and out. Trail spare hub to boot. Anything that moves that heavy tire up and out is going to increase leverage on the tailgate in a big way.

Tomken used to make a cool cheap tire relocator, don't know if they still do.

Whatever you do, try to locate the spare so the tire barely rubs the bumper when closing the tailgate. The bumper will help support the weight of the spare and save the tailgate hinges if done properly.

Im thinking about just getting a decently priced swing out tire carrier. I dont want my tire and wheel flying off on the highway or trail.

-Joe

5.5 rubicon express springs

I am building one bought the steel two days a go hope it works out all right lol

jpaj88 said:
Can the stock tire carrier hold a 33" BFgoodrich M/T mounted on 15 x 8 AR 767? If not, is there any modification that can be done to hold it on there?
I searched the site but nothing came up.

-Joe

You and I are in the ame boat. I just got my 33's and they hit my highlift at the bottom when I close the carrier.My dad has a TJ and he has the same problem as I,but with 35's.He is buying spacers for the stock tire carrier.I will post pics when he gets this mod done. :) Sully

I know several Jeepers with a 33x12 on a 15x8 rim on the stock carrier. I have a 33x10.50 on a stock rim on the stock carrier, but it's considerably lighter than a 12" wide 33.

The Short: it will work.

C

Back